The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Flashback - British Social History
Sheffield public bar price list from February 1971

1651607220562.png

Those were the days when you were “flush” if you took the missus out with a quid and change in your pocket!

The days when I could get totally wrecked with a quid and still have change!

Ah, those were the days alright; the problem was two-fold though:
  1. It only took four pints and I was wrecked!
  2. SWMBO drank “Brandy and Babycham” which, even now, can put a hole in your wallet!
Happy Days though!
:hat:

My dad would say that a pint of beer would cost the same as a loaf of bread or half dozen eggs. All I can remember is a packet of crisps being 6d or 2 1/2p

Wage £1200 pa. House prices just over x 3.5 annual wage.

I remember first year at uni in the hospital bar, pint of john smiths and a packet of crisps one pound.
That was 1987 though and pub prices a little more. We did wonder when you wouldn't be able to get two pints for a fiver, now you can't really get two pints for a tenner.

My hydrometer from boots in1970 appears to have cost from a very difficult to read label, any guesses from a pre metric person is it 9 shillings and 7 pence ?
IMG_20210719_120404.jpg

Would that be 52 pence ?

I can remember my dad coming back from a work trip to London, to sunny Lincolnshire, back in the early 1980s, and explaining that a pint of beer at Kings Cross was a £1, and my mum telling him to stop being so silly. She refused to believe it.

When I started boozing at the age of 14/5, a pint of decent cask best such as Bateman's XXXB was 87p in the **** Shovel in Louth. XB was 82p, I think.

@Dutto

I'm none the wiser now, is there a program that can translate small yellow animated circles? or make them bigger? I didn't do media studies at university or developing cartoon language.
But the hydrometer cost the equivalent of five pints of light or xxx beer, which at todays prices could make a hydrometer cost at least 30 pounds? or here in NZ about 75 dollars due to their ridiculous pricing for not even a pint.

@Dutto

I'm none the wiser now, is there a program that can translate small yellow animated circles? or make them bigger? I didn't do media studies at university or developing cartoon language.
But the hydrometer cost the equivalent of five pints of light or xxx beer, which at todays prices could make a hydrometer cost at least 30 pounds? or here in NZ about 75 dollars due to their ridiculous pricing for not even a pint.
Not that much fortunately.
I did a ready-reckon using @StJayJay 's
inflation figures for the 16.5p pint now should be £1.75.
The hydrometer at 48p would now be £5.25, so about a single bitter pint price(ish).
The question highlighted though, still remains.
Why has beer gone up by 40x when StJJ's overall inflation suggest 11x?
Is it the ingredients, power, duty levied, pub overheads that particularly affect beer? 🤔

I remember first year at uni in the hospital bar, pint of john smiths and a packet of crisps one pound.
That was 1987 though and pub prices a little more. We did wonder when you wouldn't be able to get two pints for a fiver, now you can't really get two pints for a tenner.

My hydrometer from boots in1970 appears to have cost from a very difficult to read label, any guesses from a pre metric person is it 9 shillings and 7 pence ?
View attachment 67842
Would that be 52 pence ?
Looking at that, I suspect it was 9 shillings only, written in this style: 9/- and then the extra down stroke added afterwards.
Possibly an extra penny on the price.
The British just did not use the continental 7 with the cross mark in those dim and distant days.
So that would now be only 45p upped to 45+1/2p.
Only my tuppence-hapenny's worth you understand. 😜

Isn't inflation wonderful? Back in 1977 I won $414 in a major bowling tournament ($350 for fourth place and $64 for the squad side pot). It's the equivalent of almost $2,000 in 2022.

I was a Probationary Policeman in Louth in 1962 on about £650 a year. At this time a “2up/2down” terrace house in the town cost about £400.

The same house today costs about 100 times as much at £40,000; but I doubt very much that a Probationary Policeman starts on £65,000 a year!

House prices were not driven solely by “Inflation”, it was a change in Policy by the government when the rot set in!
aheadbutt

Latest posts

Back