1m to 1.5m distance from fridge to lager tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marko47

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long story short, and apologies if this is off topic....

I've converted an old barn into a bar and now want to take a step into the world of home brewed lager and cider. Ideally, I'd like to keep the lager in a fridge on the basement and pipe it up to the bar. The problem is distance - there will be a 1m - 1.5m vertical gap from the top of the fridge to the tap.

Are there any solutions to this?

Cheers.

It doesn't look like a problem to me.
If you are worried that the beer will warm up while being dispensed, you can wrap some insulating material around your beer line.
If you are worried that the distance is not sufficient to prevent foaming, then you can use a longer beer line and keep part of it inside the fridge. Keep in mind, the shorter the beer line the more foam you get.
I use 2 m small diameter beer line with a party tap. Works fine.

If you are worried that the beer will warm up while being dispensed, you can wrap some insulating material around your beer line.
If you are worried that the distance is not sufficient to prevent foaming, then you can use a longer beer line and keep part of it inside the fridge. Keep in mind, the shorter the beer line the more foam you get.
And there's lesson #1 for me. The *shorter* the line, the *more* foam you get. I had assumed it was the other way round.

Sounds like a decent solution would be ikegger or similar in a large fridge in the basement and run the beer line up to the bar.

Next.....the lager and cider selection.

I think you've missed the point and are asking the wrong question. Engineering issues can be dealt with; all that remains is the distance from tap to mouth!

Use corny kegs and gas. That distance is nothing.
Sounds like a decent solution would be ikegger or similar
If something like that is a corny keg then yes. Don't waste your money on those over-expensive toy kegs.

If I understand the OP correctly then the question was whether pumping from a basement 1.5m below the bar was a problem?? If so then of course this is the set up of most pubs is it not...?

Use corny kegs and gas. That distance is nothing.

If something like that is a corny keg then yes. Don't waste your money on those over-expensive toy kegs.
As luck would have it, a friend has kindly given me a Cornelius keg. I've also got an old fridge. What's the simplest set up from here? Soda stream CO2, regulator and a tap drilled through the fridge? What do I need to watch out for? Cheers

Back