1st AG brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldspeckledgit

Reaction score
Ok - I've built the hlt ( 70ltr nordic with one backer element). I've made the boiler (same but with 2 elements).
I'm working on the mashtun ( 50ltr thermo). I think I've got most of the other stuff I need, and I should be ready to do my first brew in a week or two,so now I'm thinking what brew should I do.
Should I follow Brewstews Rauchbier, as it's a fairly straight forward beer to brew for a beginner, or should I try something else?
I really fancy trying a Fullers ESB type clone, but is that too adventurous for a first brew?
I don't want to try and run before I can walk, but I'm just so excited to get started.
I'd be very interested to know - what was your first brew?
Cheers OSG

the basic process is all the same different recipes just different ingredients, a few more hop additions... pick your beer and go for it

but make sure you've done your ''idiot sheet'' then you don't miss something out or mess up the timings ...... good luck buddy :thumb:

make sure you write everything down so you'll know what went right and what didn't :rofl: as for a recipe when i did my first ag i was going to do a clone but then i downloaded gw's beer engine software, threw in some ingredients and went for it :twisted: ended up with a great tasting beer (a little too strong as i stopped sparging a little early) that everyone that tried it were really impressed with :thumb: brewed it again since (although not so strong) and it's now become my house ale :cheers:

Have you brewed extract before? If so, the only new bit is the mash and lauter and the recipe you choose won't make a lot of difference (though I believe wheat malt can be trickier).

In short, if you've done an extract full boil with hop additions before, go for your ESB receipe.

Best of luck.

good luck , hope it all goes well , as for recipe i would try and keep it simple with a single hop so you get to really taste what you have brewed , i would also try and brew a style of beer you most enjoy so you can compare . There are many variables to brewing that will/can affect the outcome so keeping the recipe simple avoids confusion

rich27500 said:
For a bit of self publicity you might be interested in this thread...
Sorry to hijack your thread but Rich, when did you add the golden syrup in your OSH receipe? I was planning an OSH as my next brew but GW makes no mention of golden syrup in the receipe in his book.

Thanks for all your tips and suggestions.
As I say, I've got to finish the mashtun first, then I'll do some water only test runs, so I've got a while to think about it.
By the way, I've only done kits in the past, so this is a big step.
But, thanks mainly to this forum, I feel I'm ready to cross to the dark side!
Cheers
OSG

Baz Chaz said:
but make sure you've done your ''idiot sheet'' then you don't miss something out or mess up the timings ...... good luck buddy :thumb:

+1 on that

Before I did my first AG, I found it really handy to go through a "Dress Rehersal" the day before just putting water through the system at approx the right temps. Learnt alot for my idiot sheet about the right order to do stuff, particularly as I had the complication of not having separate HLT and Boiler.

Best advice I've seen on 1st recipe is to go for something of moderate strength so you won't be waiting too long for it to mature.

Latest posts

Back