1st Brew day and some mistakes made- Advice needed.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie Hodgson

Reaction score
Hi All,

I had my first brew day yesterday. I thought I was fully ready but may have rushed into it a tad!

1st mistake was that when I come to measure the OG I tried to use the refractometer that my wife uses for her marine aquarium, it was showing off the scale which makes me think salinity is on a much lower scale and I need another or just get a cheap hydrometer. (So no abv :( )

2nd mistake I have made is not understanding that you dry hop at a specific time. I have threw my dry hop addition straight in the fermenting tub along with the yeast.

Would you take the hop bags out at this point or just leave them? I would rather have a less tasty beer than one that is completely spoilt by the dry hops developing off flavours?

Thanks.

Hi!
I think that the only problem you'll encounter by putting your dry hops in at the beginning of fermentation is a diminished flavour/aroma. Removing the hop bag will have no effect on the beer - you can always get more hops and add them after the initial vigorous fermentation is finished, so your brew isn't ruined.

Hi Jamie, hope you still enjoyed the brew

Making mistakes is all part of it. You learn from it and adjust for your next brew and then compare the difference :beer1:

I was brewing on Saturday with my Dad and cousin for the second time on a new system and still made mistake, it'll be the 3rd or 4th brew on it before we have it down confidently.

Do you understand about the dry hop schedule now?

Ah well, you live and learn. You won't spoil the beer by leaving the dry hops in. In fact, the highly rated cwtch kit is supposed to be made by putting the hops straight in with the yeast, according to the instructions.

Hi!
I think that the only problem you'll encounter by putting your dry hops in at the beginning of fermentation is a diminished flavour/aroma. Removing the hop bag will have no effect on the beer - you can always get more hops and add them after the initial vigorous fermentation is finished, so your brew isn't ruined.

Thanks a lot! I have some citra left over so will probably add them in..

Hi Jamie, hope you still enjoyed the brew

Making mistakes is all part of it. You learn from it and adjust for your next brew and then compare the difference :beer1:

I was brewing on Saturday with my Dad and cousin for the second time on a new system and still made mistake, it'll be the 3rd or 4th brew on it before we have it down confidently.

Do you understand about the dry hop schedule now?

Hi! yes i really enjoyed my first brew. I can see how people get the bug as i'm already planning on where I can improve... Hopefully you nail the next one on your system also!

Yeah I think next time I will try and add them with a day or two remaining and see how it affects the aroma/flavour. Thanks!

There are different types of refractometer available. Not all will give you the gravity = ABV scale. I think the one you are after is the brix calibrated one. However, I have found these to be unreliable. I haven't used mine in ages. I use a hydrometer. But even they can give you false readings depending on temperature. Aim for a reading when the temp is in the low 20's for greater accuracy.

Back