1st Brew Day - Help needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronGiant

Reaction score
About to do my first brew this weekend. An all grain American Amber ale on a burco boiler using BIAB method.
I have my brewday plan all typed up just have one question.

There are two hop additions, one at 60 and then one late addition at 5 min. Is it better to put them in a hop sock or does the some of hop material need to transfer to the FV to add flavor?

Will be using a siphon to transfer from the boiler to the bucket.

You can do either. I've done both. I've put leaf hop in a supermarket mesh bag making sure there's room for them to swell up and move. Fished the bag out at the end of the boil and gave it a good squeeze. Hop pellets I put in loose and add half a protofloc tablet, crushed, 15 minutes before the end of the boil. Give it an hour after chilling to let everything settle out before transferring to a FB.
Enjoy the day! athumb..

Does your burco not have a tap ? After cooling, I let the wort rest for about 20 minutes and then I have use the tap on my burco to transfer to the fermenter. There is dead space under the tap but I find it you tilt it up you can get another few litres of wort and leave most of the crud behind.

Does your burco not have a tap ? After cooling, I let the wort rest for about 20 minutes and then I have use the tap on my burco to transfer to the fermenter. There is dead space under the tap but I find it you tilt it up you can get another few litres of wort and leave most of the crud behind.
It has the tap it came fitted with so assume that it wont be suitable to do the transfer... I havent done the ball value mod yet.

Ok thanks for the responses, think I will do as suggested just throw them in and let it settle with the help of the protofloc.

It has the tap it came fitted with so assume that it wont be suitable to do the transfer... I havent done the ball value mod yet.

Ok thanks for the responses, think I will do as suggested just throw them in and let it settle with the help of the protofloc.
I have used the fitted tap several times for wort transfer without any issues. If you pull the tap towards you the wort will flow but once you take you hand off the tap it returns to the original position and flow stops. However if you push the tap handle forward towards the boiler, it will lock in position and transfer without you having to hold the tap.

Latest posts

Back