1st Creation - Rye Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonD_87

Reaction score
For my 5th AG I wanted to try and make my own creation, rather than copying a recipe. I have had a couple of rye beers recently and really enjoyed them and wanted to make one.

My approach to creating this was what I do with food recipes. I have found some of the higher rated beers and used the websites to see what the ingredients are. I have then used this to make my own. Does anyone see anything really wrong with malt or hops I have used?

Boy Who Cryed Wolf

Original Gravity (OG): 1.060 (°P): 14.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.97 %
Colour (SRM): 13.5 (EBC): 26.6
Bitterness (IBU): 56.0 (Tinseth)

70% United Kingdom - Pale 2-Row
15% American - Rye
6% United Kingdom - Crystal Rye
4.5% United Kingdom - Crystal 45L
4% American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt)
0.5% United Kingdom - Pale Chocolate

1.5 g/L Nugget (13.9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.5 g/L Styrian Wolf (13.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.5 g/L Simcoe (12.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Simcoe (12.7% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)
1 g/L Styrian Wolf (13.6% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Recipe Generated with Brewer's Friend

Rye is one of my favorites. I'm still working on mine as I want a strong upfront rye punch. My last used 33%.

I had been using an American pale ale backbone but decided to swap that for a blonde so as to keep the crystal malts lower and to reduce the hops as I felt they muddied my rye.

Yep big rye fan here too, your recipe looks good. I'd maybe have a little less if the crystals/ sweeter malts but not by much.

And your percentage of rye is reasonably low so stuck mashes/sparges ought not be an issue. I included rice hulls with mine just in case - it had a similar percentage of rye.

Rye is on my list to try. Only ever had rye IPAs, so the flavour of the rye is a bit lost among the hops. Soon I reckon.

Just don't go too mad on the hops. I deliberately toned back the late and dry hops so they wouldn't kill the rye. More by luck than judgement but I got it spot on. Used Amarillo cascade and citra. On phone so can't be arsed to search but it was a good recipe if you can be bothered to look for it, in the brew day board.

Just don't go too mad on the hops. I deliberately toned back the late and dry hops so they wouldn't kill the rye. More by luck than judgement but I got it spot on. Used Amarillo cascade and citra. On phone so can't be arsed to search but it was a good recipe if you can be bothered to look for it, in the brew day board.

I'll have a gander now. Not got citra, but could use mosaic in its place.

Latest posts

Back