1st ever brew (AG BiB Smash)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokinMesa

Reaction score
Hi all.

OK so done loads of reading and watching. Still realise there's so much to learn (even what most would call the basics).

Inspired, like many others, by the simplicity demonstrated in this thread: Have a go at simple AG

I think it's time to give it a go. I'm notoriously impatient so the wait will be hard for me. Another reason why I like the idea of small batch, I can have plenty on the go at once whilst experimenting with flavours whilst improving technique.

I want to keep this as simple as possible to start with. I won't be dry hopping or playing with the receipt, despite the urge. Start slow, learn good foundations and build on every brew.

Current equipment:
Decent Wok style 7 burner gas Stove.
17 litre main brew pot.
5 litre secondary pot.
15 litre FV with airlock, tap and stick on thermometer.
Hydrometer(and tube).
Digital scales.
Digital thermometer with alarm/timer.
Brew bag.
Silicone tube.

Usual, spoon, container for hops, sieve etc.

Also bought a secondary vessel (bucket) and an aquarium heater but already made the mistake of the tap on the FV preventing it from sitting within. As things stand I think I'm more worried about environment being too hot. Next time I'll buy another FV without the tap.

I'm doing 10 litre.
2kg Maris otter.
100g pack Citra pellets.
Fermentis S-04 11g dried yeast.
Sterilisation powder (no rinse).

Will bottle into 1 litre fizzy pop bottles and keep out the sun. I'll get some brown bottles soon.

I'll start some sterilisation and time check whether I brew today/this evening or tomorrow.

I reckon you could get away with half the yeast in a 10L batch. Save a few pennies :)

Thanks man, yea from what I've read I think the same.

Then came across stuff about cultivating your own... (for another time)

Fwiw I chuck my next brew onto the yeast cake of the previous one. Barbaric, but it works for me (sometimes I chuck half away if there's too much of it).

Right got the first stage mash on. Is sat at 65C with some towels wrapped around. Had to add a little boiling water as it was more like 62C, not sure if putting heat under it here would have been better than diluting with more water. Guess I can adjust a little on the next stage.

First mistake at stage 1 awesome.

So accidentally only prepped 3 litres for a 5 litre batch. (Am doing 10l)

Quickly got another 3 litres (just under actually to account for the added water earlier) up to temp and mixed in. Will this mess things up significantly? Was probably 10min from mixing in to adding the correct water.

Temp is about 69C now

Boil on, some Punk in the fridge.

Progress so far....
20200502_132601.jpg

20200502_133440.jpg

20200502_145624.jpg

20200502_151304.jpg

20200502_153857.jpg

20200502_154550.jpg

First mistake at stage 1 awesome.

So accidentally only prepped 3 litres for a 5 litre batch. (Am doing 10l)

Quickly got another 3 litres (just under actually to account for the added water earlier) up to temp and mixed in. Will this mess things up significantly? Was probably 10min from mixing in to adding the correct water.

Temp is about 69C now
It's Citra, it can handle a bit of sweetness. It will not be cloyingly sweet.

Tip: you can shorten brew times with a shorter boil. So not boiling for 60 or 90 minutes, but for 45 minutes. Bitterhop will boil for a shorter time so you'd need more of it, but hops like Citra, Polaris and Chinook can profit from it, the shorter boil seems to soften the rough edges a bit.
I have a 90 IBU Citra/Simcoe ale that's very quaffable for its 9% :beer1:

So all done.

20200502_180321.jpg

Didn't need to top up, is close enough to 10 litre for me and as OG a little low, thought it would be fine.

Few things I can improve on quickly. First, the bag wasn't large enough so just whacked the grains in the water and poured into/through the bag at the first mash, then just returned the grains in the bag for the final 10min "mashout".

Took way longer than I wanted to cool the wort. Opportunity to improve there. Took about 50min.

Took an OG reading, looks a little low so again, opportunity to improve on that.

20200502_174508.jpg

Good fun. Hops smelt lovely.

Looks a bit of a poo colour but hope that will improve and clear up. I added the hops without any bag and didn't strain or filter pouring into the FV.

So all done.

<>

Took way longer than I wanted to cool the wort. Opportunity to improve there. Took about 50min.

Took an OG reading, looks a little low so again, opportunity to improve on that.

Good fun. Hops smelt lovely.

Looks a bit of a poo colour but hope that will improve and clear up. I added the hops without any bag and didn't strain or filter pouring into the FV.

There is such a thing as 'no chill', or 'overnight chill'. End brewday at 1800-ish, let the wort cool (covered and all, of course) and pitch in the morning. Works for a lot of us.

And yes, it looks like poo. A lot. But it will clear up, settle down, and become a beautiful swan. Beer, I mean. Have you already thought about the bottling plan, and did you already read any books about brewing? Books, as in real books with an author and the like?

There is such a thing as 'no chill', or 'overnight chill'. End brewday at 1800-ish, let the wort cool (covered and all, of course) and pitch in the morning. Works for a lot of us.

And yes, it looks like poo. A lot. But it will clear up, settle down, and become a beautiful swan. Beer, I mean. Have you already thought about the bottling plan, and did you already read any books about brewing? Books, as in real books with an author and the like?

I've got the Brewdog book, lots of pretty pictures 🙈

If this comes out drinkable I'll be all over it. Reading everything I can, learning from who I can, buying things I don't need.

Bottling on this one is a bit rubbish. Will be repurposed 1 litre fizzy drinks bottles (kept in the dark). I'll get a set of brown bottles soon enough. Would have now if the car hadn't just cost me 500 quid I couldn't afford.

Personally, once I started adding kettle finings to the boil (irish moss or protofloc 15 mins before the end), it started looking a lot less like poo! I really like clear beer, so for me it is worth the few extra pennies in each brew.

Personally, once I started adding kettle finings to the boil (irish moss or protofloc 15 mins before the end), it started looking a lot less like poo! I really like clear beer, so for me it is worth the few extra pennies in each brew.

I've read about these but seems that prices are way over inflated due to covid-19 and more people trying homebrew.

Will likely invest as I too like a clear beer.

I actually overbought by accident so have a few if you want some. I reckon you'd get away with a quarter protafloc per 10L brew.

I actually overbought by accident so have a few if you want some. I reckon you'd get away with a quarter protafloc per 10L brew.

Man that's really kind and awesome. Love these friendly forums.

I'm going to try and get some more grain and hops so can get another batch on in a couple of weeks. I intend on a good two or three on the go (different lifecycle) at once. Might just take you up on that at a later date, thank you acheers.

I've read about these but seems that prices are way over inflated due to covid-19 and more people trying homebrew.

Will likely invest as I too like a clear beer.

Irish moss works, but I forgot it a few times and then it worked too: it will settle down. You have a siphon, I hope? Because then you can make a difference when transporting to the bottling vessel.
And I even got brews with a lot of hop debris in the bottle and they tasted grand too. Looked less, but good anyway.

Now, you have a book: have you already planned your second brew? I guess you got the hops and yeast already, what's it gonna be?

edit: I guess you got that last question already covered :)

Woke up to a nice healthy bubble.

Temp seems to be around 18 to 20C bit warmer than I'd like.

Tried to work out efficiency last night, not sure if doing it correct. Based on an online calculator I got about 70% efficiency, which isn't too bad seems it was my first ever brew.

Latest posts

Back