1st go

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeamer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello from the very sunny south coast,

Just done my first kit - Wilko's Rose. Did this one mainly to see how to start off and because higher authority loves Rose!

Got all the bits from Wilko and followed the instructions to the letter

Have to leave it now for 3 days before adding anymore water.

Lets see how it goes

It should go very well.
Rose kits tend to turn out very nice.
If the higher authority likes it,Your future in homebrew is secured, athumb..
Keep us posted and welcome to the forum.

It will soon.
But don't be of too much of a hurry to get on to the next stage
let it ferment out and then some more
Time is the friend of winemakers

Day 10 and fermentation has slowed down considerably. I'm getting a bubble about every 5 mins or so.
I have been noting down the temps at the same time every day and its was between 20-22c, but now is showing 18-20c
Not in a hurry so will leave until Saturday and test with the hydrometer and then carry on

Took a reading today and at 20c its 1.004
Instructions say 998 to 995 so I'll move to the brew fridge in the bat cave.
Re-check on Monday or add the stabilizer & finings now???

Last edited:
rose is done and bottled and It's as clear as a bell!. Also went fancy and put labels on them.
Will give it another week or two before asking higher authority to do a taste test.
SWMBO was very impressed I didn't make a mess and I'm out from under her feet, she bought me another rose kit when she was in Wilko. Will do this one with brewing sugar and try to sweeten it up at the end.

Glad it turned out well.

Instead of buying kits which can be expensive why not try making your own from supermarket juice you get a massive buzz when you make it from scratch and everyone likes it. (the method is in two videos in post one below)

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...ne-how-to-guide-and-recipes.49462/post-456519
Rosé wine

1 litre Red grape juice.

1.5 litre Apple Juice.

750g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine. (optional)

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg
5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

Watched the videos and it looks a real simple process. Went to ASDA but they didn't have any grape juice and only reduced sugar apple juice!. May go to Sainsburys tomorrow
Am I looking for 100% juice and is 100% but from concentrate ok?

Just back from Sainsburys...unsupervised!
Got the Red Grape Juice & Apple Juice, Sugar, some beer and a bottle of Jamesons :laugh8:
When I was in Wilko last I picked up a couple of the Wine yeast sachets, I assume they'll be good for this?
Will start my first WOW tomorrow

Wilko's yeast is fine, you can split a packet between two demijohns (1/2 packet will keep in the fridge). Have you got some nutrient ?

Rather than buy a sachet of yeast every time, if you are planning to make more batches you can use Wilko Express Wine Yeast Compound 50g, which should ferment about 10 demijohns of wine for £2.50. And yes, get some yeast nutrient.

Watched the videos and it looks a real simple process. Went to ASDA but they didn't have any grape juice and only reduced sugar apple juice!. May go to Sainsburys tomorrow
Am I looking for 100% juice and is 100% but from concentrate ok?

There are normally two areas with fruit juice on sale in ASDA - one in the chilled aisle and another aisle with the long life juice cartons. Red Grape Juice will be in the chilled section. There should also be several types of full fat apple juice available in 1 Litre cartons. I normally use the 69p "ASDA Apple Juice From Concentrate" (chilled aisle) which has 11g of sugar per 100ml, or there is also the 65p "ASDA 100% Pure Apple Juice Carton" which has 10g of sugar per 100ml.

Ah that's where I went wrong, I looked in the general fruit juice aisle. Will know for next time.

So the first WOW is done, using 1ltr 100% Red Grape Juice from concentrate(sugar on carton says 15g per 100ml),1.5ltrs 100% Apple Juice from concentrate( sugar on carton says 9.2g per 100ml), all the other ingredients listed but used the juice of a lemon (no citric acid at Wilko) and put in 1/2 packet of the Wilko wine yeast @ 22c. SG 1.108
Fingers crossed

Hi I am interested in the recipe, please would someone send a link, I make wines from all sorts of fruit and berries , but this one sounds cheaper.

Go to post #1 in this thread and it describes what you need and there are 2 videos showing how to make it.

Rosé wine

1 litre Red grape juice.

1.5 litre Apple Juice.

750g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine. (optional)

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg
5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

Latest posts

Back