1st Kit Lost

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Main

Reaction score
Hi All

as the title says, I have just lost my 1st return to the hobby brew.

I believe it was down to a poorly drilled hole in the lid of the fermenter for the air lock, the lid has been replaced now.

I filtered and sweetened, but there was a sour undertone :(

it was a Solomon's Peach Wine kit

43031912_10156722694791484_7434578923268079616_o.jpg

43031912_10156722694791484_7434578923268079616_o.jpg

Last edited:
Could i ask why you think the cause is a "poorly drilled hole in the lid of the fermenter for the air lock"

When did you start it, did you take any readings?

Could i ask why you think the cause is a "poorly drilled hole in the lid of the fermenter for the air lock"

When did you start it, did you take any readings?

It was started on the 14/9/18 - OG checked before pitching, FG was checked on the 27/9/2018

OG : 1.075
FG : 0.994

here is the pic of the lid, the lid was replaced by the store that i purchased the fermenter from, Not a single bubble came out the airlock!. Current brew is glugging away nicely with the new lid,

kkkkkkkkkkk.jpg

I don't think the airlock hole could have caused the wine to taste the way it does as the CO2 produced while fermenting would have protected it, some members don't use airlocks they just lay the lid on top of their FV and don't snap it down, how long did you leave it after it was finished, are you drinking it straight from the DJ above?

I don't think the airlock hole could have caused the wine to taste the way it does as the CO2 produced while fermenting would have protected it, some members don't use airlocks they just lay the lid on top of their FV and don't snap it down, how long did you leave it after it was finished, are you drinking it straight from the DJ above?

1st racking was on the 27th, Pitch temp was 26 C, but not out of the range for the yeast or the kit. Heat Mat on a controller was used, set to 23 C .Yes was tasting by poring some wine out into glass's.

There is a lot of head-space in the DJ which is not a good thing long term but i wouldn't have thought it could have caused the wine taste problem in this short time, i still don't see how a non airtight airlock could have caused this problem so i guess you will have to chalk it up to one of those things and hope the next is OK, keep us posted.

There is a lot of head-space in the DJ which is not a good thing long term but i wouldn't have thought it could have caused the wine taste problem in this short time, i still don't see how a non airtight airlock could have caused this problem so i guess you will have to chalk it up to one of those things and hope the next is OK, keep us posted.

Have you had any experiance of the Harris no rinse ?

this has happened to me both times i've tried brewing, made a galaxy smash which turned out very sour and i've got a stout kit almost one week gone fermenting! I took a reading today of 1.010 which is on track i tasted it and it tastes like a stout should but with a sour taste!? going to do 2+2+2 method but once bottled leave it around 6 weeks to see if it will condition out

this has happened to me both times i've tried brewing, made a galaxy smash which turned out very sour and i've got a stout kit almost one week gone fermenting! I took a reading today of 1.010 which is on track i tasted it and it tastes like a stout should but with a sour taste!? going to do 2+2+2 method but once bottled leave it around 6 weeks to see if it will condition out

This is the wine forum. ;)

Its my 1st time using a no rinse, so i am wondering if it imparts a taste until its neutralised? wont now know as i ditch the brew

It's my 1st time using a no rinse, so I am wondering if it imparts a taste until it's neutralised? won't now know as I ditch the brew
I use Harris No Rinse Sanitiser and it's good. Don't worry about residue, it doesn't impart any taste. I do give my bottle and demijohns a quick rinse inside, but only because there is a tiny bit 0f water in them from where I've cleaned them before storage.

You do still need to sterilise your kit before use. Some use starsan, I use a sulphite solution.

Latest posts

Back