1st Low Alcohol Brew

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

OliH

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, yesterday I thought I'd have a go at a low alcohol beer (drinking too much through boredom!). The recipe is below it's my own creation so please feel free to tell me what's wrong with it!

15l Maxi BIAB so 4l of bottled water was added to the fermenter after a 40min boil.
1kg Viena Malt
400g Maris Otter
200g Crystal
250g rolled oats
Mashed in 12l at 66*C for 40 min and stirred halfway through. Mash out at 80*C 10min. No sparge.

8g Columbus/ 15g Hallertauer @ 10min
30g Hallertauer @ Hop stand 80*C

I will dry Hop with something!

Cooled to 18*C and a pack of Wilko Gervin yeast pitched.

I used Brewfather to calculate it and it came out as 2.6%, OG 1.026/ FG 1.006. BU/GU 0.7. IBU 19

the actual OG came in at 1.023 so very low.

I checked this morning and there is Krausen so looks like it's doing it's thing.

I was hoping that because of the low alcohol content this would be done quickly and I can get it bottled is this correct or would you recommend to leave it for 2 weeks like standard?

Also anyone got any advice for carbing/ conditioning low alcohol beer?

Thanks everyone!

the baron

Landlord.
Reaction score
I would expect the beer to maybe ferment ever so slightly quicker than a average 4% beer but it will still need the same cleaning up carbing and conditioning time IMO

nixhaz

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too brewed my first low alcohol one yesterday.. First actual brew in about 5 years (these are tough times!!).
I think it will end up at 2.85% if all goes to plan... it ended up at 1.030 OG.
It's bubbling away like mad with a decent krausen.. was too hoping it would be finished a bit quickly as I'm impatient as heck!

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
I normally make lower alcohol beers normally 3.8%. I regualarly make bitter. I find I can start drinking it after 3 days if I want (although more conditioning is better). Carbonation isnt up to full level but you do get a bit.

Also if you know anything about commercial breweries, they get there beer out the door in just a few days, I dont think anyone (commerciall) waits 2 weeks. At below 3% your beer should be fermented out in a max of about 4-5 days (unless you've been fermenting it somewhere cold). I reckon you could be drinking it in under 10 days grain to glass

OliH

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, @MyQul that's really helpful thanks. I've not used the Hallertauer hops before so quite interested. They were really cheap, and I thought they might get flavour in without too much bettering?

nixhaz

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, so mine has been at 19C for a week, and it is reading 1.010. Do you think it's finished? (I used S 05). My calculator said it should finish at 1.007.

How's yours going @OliH ?

OliH

Reaction score
Hmm, so mine has been at 19C for a week, and it is reading 1.010. Do you think it's finished? (I used S 05). My calculator said it should finish at 1.007.

How's yours going @OliH ?
Just taken a sample and mine has hit 1.007 so 1 point off the target of 1.006. I guess I'll check Sunday and if it's the same I'll bottle. It was at about 19C but it was Nottingham, which seems like a really easy yeast. The sample didn't taste great though! I was trying to do it quick so thought I'd get dry hops in a bit early, not sure if it was too early or it's the type of hops.
It is a total experiment this one, haven't used Vienna malt before, haven't used the Hallertauer hops before and not done anything this low an ABV!