1st time cider brewing.......

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmmCitra

Regular.
Reaction score
Thought i'd try a CiderWorks kit having never brewed cider before.
Following the instructions it says after 6 days check the hydrometer reading which i've done and it's gone from 1.044 to 1.002 so i'd guess it's about done.
However the cider is still fizzy so do I just leave it in the fermenter until the fizz goes ??
It's interesting how different beer brewing is from cider though :)

That cider is probably done, though I would also taste it. Racking it off the yeast will help dispel some of the dissolved CO2. For cider and meads, I also usually stir them to add additional nutrients and drive off CO2 during fermentation, because CO2 is toxic to yeast. But your cider seems well fermented.

Cheers for the reply Steve.
Tasted the cider and it's fizzy but tastes good, however it tastes more like apple juice than a 5.5% cider at the moment.
I'll leave it another week and give it a stir too, hopefully the fizz will go before I bottle. I know with beer that you should never bottle if there is still fizz, I assume that's the same with cider and it will re-carb once in the bottle with added sugar.

Yeah, i'd think so, that's why i'm hoping it'll be flat in a few more days time so I can bottle and prime them with sugar in the normal way........as always, a waiting game.

Hi there, I've got a ciderworks brew on the go at the moment. I havent done a cider before but loads of ales, lagers, etc.
Its just finished primary, I assume I need to do a secondary ferment on a cider (take it off the trub and let it sit dropping remaining particles for another week)??
If so, when do I add the flavour sachet? Assume right before I prime and bottle?

Latest posts

Back