2 Brews From Leftovers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smileyr8

Impressive Member
Reaction score
OK so I have arrived at almost the end of my bag of base malt and I am hoping to get 2 brews to tidy up what I have left.

I think I would like to do one brew that just Munich & Specialities, usually 2400g of base malt and 855g of other will give me 3.8% abv (session beers).

So come on guys give me some suggestions.

Base Malts
1790g Dark Munich
1340g Minch Hook Head Pale Malt
1300g Munich
1120g Wheat (Maybe 400g of which is dark)
5550g Total

Speciality Malts Etc
770g 40 Crystal
410g Torrified Wheat
320g Flaked Maize (not overly kean on this it give me a taste I am not bothered about)
320g 145 Crystal
230g Biscuit
175g Roast Barley
135g Chocolate Wheat

Hops
260g Cascade
100g Summit
110g Challenger
450g Fuggles
450g EKG
390g Columbus
50g Amarillo
90g Magnum
10g First Gold

Yeast
House yeast derived from WYeast Activator 1469-PC West Yorkshire Ale Yeast

OK I have just started trying to put something together in Brewtarget and it has become clear, 2 brews is pie in the sky, would still be interested to hear any suggestions you may have.

Two brews of full length might be tricky but if you want to use them up why not just adjust the brewlength to get a decent OG.

I'd try the pale malt and light Munich along with the light crystal and biscuit malt and you're in bitter / brown ale territory which is perfect for your yeast. So hop it with a combination of EKG/Fuggles/Challenger.

Then if you threw the rest together you'd have a dark wheat beer with some dark crystal malt in it. Not really a style fit per se but you could make a tasty beer, order a sachet of dry yeast to suit (CML do a Weiss yeast which would keep your costs down for a user upper)

Munich is not a 100% malt, maybe 50%.
Further what @Ajhutch says: bitter all the way. Perhaps a session? EKG and Fuggles would do nice.
HBC and other sites suggest Munich and Dark Munich can be used 100% (I have never done so as yet), after doing a little research (and having just put on a Bitter) I am veering towards a Schwarzbier but using my house yeast.

HBC and other sites suggest Munich and Dark Munich can be used 100% (I have never done so as yet), after doing a little research (and having just put on a Bitter) I am veering towards a Schwarzbier but using my house yeast.
Greg Hughes in 'Homebrew beer' differs. But if it works, it works :-)

Attachments

• 20180127_213603_HDR.jpg
    20180127_213603_HDR.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 73
So here's what I have come up with don't think it is 100% on Style (but should use up most of the bits and pieces).

Mashed
1.79kg Dark Munich
1.3kg Munich
320g 145 Crystal
230g Biscuit
Cold Steeped Over Night
175g Roast Barley
135g Chocolate Wheat
Hops
20g Columbus Hop Pellets

Should give me 4.7% with my efficiencies and yeast attenuation within Brewtarget.

Apparently reading up on the style Schwarzbier in the past warm fermentation was used, so I will drop the temp of the brew fridge towards the minimum for the yeast.

Well we are 3 weeks away from the brew but I am already looking forward to tasting it.

Not all Munich is made equally. As a general rule the lighter German malted Munich can be 100% of the grist. British malted Munich tends not to have the same Diastatic power.

Weyermann definitely state 100% on their website.

As for the recipes I would split the pale and try to do two brews of a batch size to suit of around 5 ABV. You'll need to be clever how it's split, but 5500g of base malt should give two 10L batches.

Pale, Wheat Malt, Torrified and Munich with the EKG to do a Weizen or a darker Dunkel. Although this will require the correct yeast.

A Brown Ale with either American or British hops using Pale, Munich, crystal, Biscuit, roast barley.

Maybe splitting the maize between the two so it isn't to noticeable yet adds to the ABV.

A Belgian beer might be an option as it allow bumping the ABV with a generous sugar addition.

That should clear most of the grain stock.

Last edited:
Not all Munich is made equally. As a general rule the lighter German malted Munich can be 100% of the grist. British malted Munich tends not to have the same Diastatic power.

Weyermann definitely state 100% on their website.

As for the recipes I would split the pale and try to do two brews of a batch size to suit of around 5 ABV. You'll need to be clever how it's split, but 5500g of base malt should give two 10L batches.

Pale, Wheat Malt, Torrified and Munich with the EKG to do a Weizen or a darker Dunkel. Although this will require the correct yeast.

A Brown Ale with either American or British hops using Pale, Munich, crystal, Biscuit, roast barley.

Maybe splitting the maize between the two so it isn't to noticeable yet adds to the ABV.

A Belgian beer might be an option as it allow bumping the ABV with a generous sugar addition.

That should clear most of the grain stock.
Thanks for the feedback, I will be trying to fill a Corny (19ltr), so I have ruled out 2 brews even with my efficencies I suspect hitting anything of worthwhile strength is going to be impossible.
The flaked maize looks bin bound.

Back