2" cap split....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Landlord.
Reaction score
That's 2 out of 2 both white plastic caps split in the same place, were the top meets the side. I'm not King Kong I didn't screw them down that hard there is no great reason for them to break.

So I need 2 more, just plain 2" caps I don't need them drilled or to have any fittings attached.

Any idea were I might get some of decent quality?

Thanks All. Aamcle

aamcle,

How old are the white caps? From memory the white caps stopped being sold circa 2015.

To replace them, it seems like you need the 2" Pressure Barrel Standard Vent Cap available from every home brew shop. These are black and are made from a harder plastic so less likley to split.

However, the white caps should have a proper O ring seal in them that clips in place (possibly blue in colour). The newer black caps have a flat rubber washer that is totally useless and slips out of place almost all the time.

A simple solution is to replace the flat washer with an O ring of a size that fits inside the cap and can be held in place by the cap threads. I used 60mm x 48.6mm x 5.7 FuWell red silicone gaskets and have never had a problem since.

Hope that helps.
ARNWD

I've got my eye on one of those old pressure barrels on an auction site. It has a failed seal on it, they look white in the picture so the tip about an Oring and the size is a great help. Thanks. Luckily it is being offerend with two white caps so we'll see how long they last.

Cheers, @RoomWithABrew.

I hope though you have not misunderstood. The O ring size I have quoted is to put an O ring inside the newer black cap. The white caps take a smaller sized O ring that is held in place by clips. Later, I will post a picture of what I have done with the black caps.

In the picture I was looking at of the white cap there was a flattish white " gasket ", I'll have a look in my odds and sods from England early brewing days as I may have picked up some spares years ago. I didn't bring my plastic kegs out here from the UK and have acquired a top tap king keg which is okay for ales, which is what I got it for. I quite like to have a keg of cider slowly changing over a long time in the cellar and the 2 inch topped kegs I've used successfully for that in the past in the UK. Rest of beer in a mix of sankey metal and plastic kegs or key kegs. I've got plenty of storage but can't resist a bargain for old times sake.

Right I bought a black plastic cap pre drilled for a S30. I printed a jig for cutting seals some time ago. I think there is a picture on the forum somewhere.

Aamcle

Picture

Attachments

• IMG_20210408_134740_2.jpg
    IMG_20210408_134740_2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 11
Back