2 Prototype Recipes - Opinions Please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdeDunn

Reaction score
I don't usually do this, but with these 2 I'm kinda flying in the dark, so could use some opinions and feedback, mainly on the hop schedules to be honest.

First up, a recipe I've designed to attempt to APPROXIMATE (not necessarily clone) Wychwood Dryneck. I can't find specific recipes, only rough discussions, so this is what I have come up with:-

Sore Throat

23 Litres. Target OG: 1.042. Target FG: 1.010. Target ABV: 4.1%. Efficiency: 75% (my efficiency is actually usually higher than this, but this been a prototype I'm playing it safe). Colour 7.1 EBC. IBUs: 27.3 Tinseth.

Mash: BIAB, 90 minutes @ 65 degrees C. Mash out 10 minutes at 76 degrees C (7 minutes rise). 24.39L strike water. Sparge at 76 degrees with 5L.

British Lager Malt 2.5 EBC 3000g
Crisp Maris Otter 6 EBC 750g
Munich Malt 15 EBC 500g
Torrefied What 3.3 EBC 200g

Boil: 90 minutes.
All hops whole hops.

90 minute additions:-
Bobek 3.6% AA 8g
Waimea 15.1% AA 8g

10 minutes:-
1/2 Protafloc
Immersion Chiller

5 minutes:-
Waimea 15.1% AA 20g
Belma 12% AA 20g

0 minutes (flame out) :-
Waimea 15.1% 25g
Belma 12% AA 25g

2 litres water added to fermenter, ferment with M36 Liberty Bell.

The hops schedule is literally 100% Guesswork. I know what hops to use, but not when or how much, so based it roughly around the recipe for Hobgoblin Gold that I used recently (which is coming along really nicely). The malt is pretty much guesswork too, aiming for a straw/gold colour hence the lager malt (Maris Otter on it's own is more golden than straw without adding a LOT of Munich, which I don't have... lol).

Next recipe.....

Ok, a common goal one this, Titanic Plum Porter. What I know for sure: Fairly certain on the malt bill (guy claims to have spoken to the brewer at a local beer festival) and the use of natural plum essence rather than fruit (same). The hops, well there is a TON of confusion here, however Titanic themselves state quite clearly that they balance out the bitterness by using late addition/s of Goldings hops... I did actually reduce the quantity of black malt discussed elsewhere, on the basis that if you use the same as some have been using you get stout NOT porter. Titanic Plum Porter however is VERY dark coloured... I got sick of my software nagging me about the colour though. lmao

Again, my goal is an approximation. So, I give you:-

Sgt. Colon's Plum Porter:-

Target Volume: 20 Litres. Target OG: 1.050. Target FG: 1.012. Target ABV: 5.9%. Colour: 58.5 EBC. IBUs: 27.5 Tinseth. Efficiency: 79%.

Mash: BIAB 90 minutes @ 68 degrees C with 23.72L strike water. Mash out at 76 degrees C over 10 minutes (rise over 7). Sparge @ 76 degrees C with 5L.

Crisp Maris Otter 6 EBC 4000g
Wheat Malt 4.7 EBC 500g
Black Malt 1300 EBC 270g

Boil: 90 minutes.

Whole hops used.

90 minutes additions:-
Admiral 16.7% AA 9g

10 minutes additons:-
Bramling Cross 6.1% AA 20g
EKG 5.86% AA 20g
1/2 Protafloc
Immersion Chiller

0 minutes (flame out):-
Bramling Cross 6.1% AA 20g
EKG 5.86% AA 20g

You're not wrong, I have zero clue as to when, or what ratio, to use for the Bramling Cross and EKG.... lol Most attempts to clone this don't even use EKG (or any Goldings for that matter), but Titanic state very clearly that they use a late addition/additions of Goldings hops.... The flame out hops me even be un-necessary.

Into the FV with 3 litres of water. Ferment with M36 Liberty Bell (trust me, it's a VERY fruity beer, and a touch sweet too! lol) for 2 weeks. Then 2 weeks in secondary, with 13mls of natural plum essence, so it doesn't get blown out of the airlock.

So, have a look, let me know what you think.

Cheers

Back