2 years a brewer!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren1973

Reaction score
Well I decided to learn the noble art of brewing beer during lockdown 2020. Started with kits (2 of) then decided I wanted to brew from scratch. After extensive research and learning what the word 'sparge' means I gradually built up the gear needed....Electrim Mash Bin, Sparge water heater, brew bag, hop bag, cooling coil etc etc etc. Had a few successes (Lemongrass Pale Ale a highlight), and a few disasters, the last one being misreading the ingredients and putting 1kg of chocolate malt in instead of 100g! it was meant to be dark....just not that dark. Most of the recipes I've nicked off the internet, a few tweaks here and there, swapped hops that weren't available at the time etc. The latest one (which is currently fermenting) I've kind of devised myself with the help of the Brewfather app (which is BRILLIANT!) and is an English 'Best' Ale using Endeavour(60min), Fuggle(30min), Jester(5min) and Archer (5min) hops, is that a decent combination or could i have got away with not using so many? When I have taken readings I have to say it does have an English bitter smell to it which I'm relieved about. 2 days of fermenting to go of the 14 and it's currently 4.5% and kind of a John Smiths colour so I'm happy so far.

Back