2018 FIFA World Cup.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't watch much football these days, but I did pick out the Spain vs Portugal match as possibly the game of the Group phase. Left work especially early, did my cooking for the family etc and only missed the first goal by about a minute.

Now, that was a game. A great pleasure to watch. If only it could all be like that.

From what I recall of the previous WC's , nothing much happens now for about a fortnight, except that England go out.

Three abysmal games and then a corker.

Lets hope for a couple of decent games tomorrow.

Whilst I tend to prefer the oval ball game I got to say Portugal Spain was cracker, the others have been a bit meh..

Soccer :roll: It’s football!

I think England have their best chance since 1990. For so long we’ve tried to shoehorn “superstar” players into a rigid system (Scholes on the left with Gerrard and Lampard in central midfield anyone), and now it looks like we have a system that suits the personnel and a plan about how we want to play.

Tunisia are no pushover. In their friendly against Spain last week they defended better and created more chances, before losing to a late goal. England at their most mediocre could easily lose that one! But I think we'll beat Panama. Then anything could happen against Belgium.

I’ve got France v Australia on now, first game I’ve managed to watch.

I think it’s the first time England haven’t had one stand out player that everyone else has had to fit round.The only way we ever going to get anywhere is play as a “whole” team and not a one man show.

<<<<Predicts England Draw against Tunisia, and its ends up with us needing a win against Belgium, to get out of the group.

I watched a fair bit of Iceland and Argentina. Iceland play like Sam Allerdyce's Bolton team of a few years back. (This is not a compliment, necessarily).

Argentina are totally reliant of the reputation of a faded star in Messi. Game was a bit poor after Spain vs Portugal and I can't believe I expected otherwise. Soccer remains the "beautiful game", but my, oh my, do its players and supporters let it down.

I am amused by the idea that England might have to beat Belgium to qualify. That is really funny on so many levels. Try Michael Palin from the Monty Python era - "I tried and tried to think of a worse insult, bit just could not think of a worse one than "Belgian".

Very difficult for this competition to retain any credibility after today. Germany's comparative dotards shoved on by a compliant referee.

Great stuff, this soccer. More and more like a TV Talent Show each time.

If England don't do well this year they never will hardly any of the teams expected to do well are so come on England. :thumb:

Very difficult for this competition to retain any credibility after today. Germany's comparative dotards shoved on by a compliant referee.

Great stuff, this soccer. More and more like a TV Talent Show each time.

By the looks of things if/when Germany get out the group, they'll be playing Brazil - Should be interesting

Latest posts

Back