2019 Apple Harvest Cider Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going on Friday to pick more apples! Really excited, especially since I bought a new scratter. It's one of those hand crank mill ones. Will also check on my last batches as they should be good for bottling now.

I moved 2 fermenters full of cider from the farm to my flat, they splashed around a lot in the FVs. Will this have a bad effect on cider? I know you shouldn't do this with beer, was wondering if it's the same with cider.

I moved 2 fermenters full of cider from the farm to my flat, they splashed around a lot in the FVs. Will this have a bad effect on cider? I know you shouldn't do this with beer, was wondering if it's the same with cider.

It will probably be OK. Anything you stirred up will settle out again. My main worry would be if the layer of CO2 has been displaced. I think I'd be tempted to rack off to another container and brim it just in case.

It will probably be OK. Anything you stirred up will settle out again. My main worry would be if the layer of CO2 has been displaced. I think I'd be tempted to rack off to another container and brim it just in case.
Ok thanks. I know one has finished fermenting. I was planning on adding oak chips but might just bottle and let it bottle condition for a while.

I agree with the other poster - the only risk I can think of is oxidisation - so if it has finished get on and bottle it with some priming sugar, and the protective CO2 covering will be restored......

bottling the au naturel just before Christmas, hydrometer samples tasted really smooth so I am optimistic about the final product:

20191222_145721 by MattH3764, on Flickr

drank some of the yeast batches from this year this christmas also once they had cleared - these were watered down to 6.5% and were nice and refreshing.

my least favourite cider is the non watered down yeast batches - at 9% its just a bit harsh (the au naturel of the same strength is much more drinkable). I still have about 20 litres left of the 2018 to soldier through !

I cracked open a couple of bottles of cider I made with champagne yeast, was a bit worried because a secondary fermentation happened in the bottles (some bacteria got in) but it tasted great. I've gone on holiday, back tomorrow and will try a couple more.

I have another batch made with natural yeast but that too is going through a secondary fermentation and has wild yeast or bacteria in it. Doesn't smell great and I'm a bit worried it's a gonner. Will wait and see though.

not sure why you talk about secondary fermentation as if it is a bad thing......
- if any unfermented sugar is present or added then any yeast thaat is remotely alive will process it.
- ive always thought this is a good thing as it then adds CO2 to the bottles that then protects the cider and carbonates. Just make sure you dont have so much sugar that the bottle explodes.
- Not sure of the relevance of bacteria ?

not sure why you talk about secondary fermentation as if it is a bad thing......
- if any unfermented sugar is present or added then any yeast thaat is remotely alive will process it.
- ive always thought this is a good thing as it then adds CO2 to the bottles that then protects the cider and carbonates. Just make sure you dont have so much sugar that the bottle explodes.
- Not sure of the relevance of bacteria ?
A white film has developed on top. If this happened in beer I'd probably have to chuck it, although I've had a few pleasant surprises. I had a sniff and it didn't smell great. I'm seeing what happens over time though.

bottled the last 10 litres of au naturel yesterday, all processing done done for another year..... just drinking to go......

interestingly the two 5l DJs smelled quite different - one had been very slow to ferment and I worry that it had oxidised a bit. But hydrometer sample tasted OK so I bottled it anyway and we will see how it turns out....

had a bottle of 2019 au naturel this week, so around 18 months old. Absolutley delicious - i am thinking that between 1.5 years and 2 years is the optimum age to enjoy my cider. I have quite a bit of 2019 left, so it should be a good spring....

Back