2021 Apple Harvest Cider Thread

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Bill W

Reaction score
I've seen a Youtube video of a DIY scratter constructed from a small stainless sink and a waste disposal unit. I also believe someone on the forum has one. It looks a fairly compact, effective and economical solution, which seems to do a more thorough job than the hand-turned Vigo Classic I borrowed this time. I might make one for next year.

Metman79

Reaction score
Yeah it does, but then feels like you've really earned that cider!

Shirley Bassett

Regular.
Reaction score
I recently got an Insinkerator kitchen waste disposal unit off gumtree for £5. It cost me just over £7 to get it from Suffolk to Aberdeenshire on my Hermes. The seller kindly boxed it up and took it to the collection point for me.

For anyone looking for one then here’s a link to a stainless one (66 model) for £10 on Gumtree.

You can always ask if they will MyHermes it for you.

MattH1973

Regular.
Reaction score
Mine is the Selections Scratter.... very similar to this (no idea if this one or this seller is reliable or not)

if you read my cider threads from previous years, you will see that I love mine

benludo

Reaction score
Hi @benludo,
I can't open those files. Any chance of any still pics or a link to an online supplier, or even just a brand and model name, I'm definitely going to upgrade my hand-driven kit ready for the next season.
Thanks in advance.
Vigo is the boy for a scratter

Attachments

MattH1973

Regular.
Reaction score
for completeness, bottling now done. I did the 15 litres with yeast in Autumn, and the 10 litres au naturel yesterday. It all tasted OK, bar one DJ of the au naturel that was a bit sharp - but lets see if it mellows in the bottles. Everything had fermented all the way...
20211028_184630 by MattH3764, on Flickr

i even tried a glass of the autumn batch the other night, once it had cleared.....
20211205_172007 by MattH3764, on Flickr

MattH1973

Regular.
Reaction score
So a down year of 25 litres is all done, but I still have the bulk of the 2020 (about 80+ litres iirc) in the cellar, so that should see me through another year.