2021 Apple Harvest Cider Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen a Youtube video of a DIY scratter constructed from a small stainless sink and a waste disposal unit. I also believe someone on the forum has one. It looks a fairly compact, effective and economical solution, which seems to do a more thorough job than the hand-turned Vigo Classic I borrowed this time. I might make one for next year.

I recently got an Insinkerator kitchen waste disposal unit off gumtree for £5. It cost me just over £7 to get it from Suffolk to Aberdeenshire on my Hermes. The seller kindly boxed it up and took it to the collection point for me.

For anyone looking for one then here’s a link to a stainless one (66 model) for £10 on Gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-household-goods/waste-disposal-unit-insinkerator/1418154516
You can always ask if they will MyHermes it for you.

Hi @benludo,
I can't open those files. Any chance of any still pics or a link to an online supplier, or even just a brand and model name, I'm definitely going to upgrade my hand-driven kit ready for the next season.
Thanks in advance.
Vigo is the boy for a scratter

Attachments

• C74D758F-C41E-4FAE-838B-231FCB432552.jpeg
    C74D758F-C41E-4FAE-838B-231FCB432552.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 46
  • A9B91DC8-318B-43F9-90E1-7377C6BAC02D.MOV
    35.1 MB
for completeness, bottling now done. I did the 15 litres with yeast in Autumn, and the 10 litres au naturel yesterday. It all tasted OK, bar one DJ of the au naturel that was a bit sharp - but lets see if it mellows in the bottles. Everything had fermented all the way...
20211028_184630 by MattH3764, on Flickr

i even tried a glass of the autumn batch the other night, once it had cleared.....
20211205_172007 by MattH3764, on Flickr

So a down year of 25 litres is all done, but I still have the bulk of the 2020 (about 80+ litres iirc) in the cellar, so that should see me through another year.

quick update, t a time when its really about the drinking, and watching the buds start to form on the apple trees - hoping for a better year....

I'm enjoying all my cider, but theres a slight taste about the au naturel, from 2020 and 2021 that isnt quite right. Drinkable, but i prefer the yeast batches at the moment. I might go back to Love brewing champagne yeast this year, for most of my batches.

I am also wondering if my plastic DJs are getting a little tired, and allowing the cider to oxidise a bit......as it sits there for 3 months in the case of the AU-N - advice welcome on that.

quick update, t a time when its really about the drinking, and watching the buds start to form on the apple trees - hoping for a better year....

I'm enjoying all my cider, but theres a slight taste about the au naturel, from 2020 and 2021 that isnt quite right. Drinkable, but i prefer the yeast batches at the moment. I might go back to Love brewing champagne yeast this year, for most of my batches.

I am also wondering if my plastic DJs are getting a little tired, and allowing the cider to oxidise a bit......as it sits there for 3 months in the case of the AU-N - advice welcome on that.
Hi we also had an set back on a batch last year, the taste we found was over powering of Ester, looked good and cleared well with good fizzy bubbles. Used champagne yeast and small bubbles. I’m investigating cause but it is probably due to the secondary rehydration and pulp and repressing of the pomace. First pressing Cider is fine and some left in the conditioning tubs before bottling as still, earlier bottled with a sugar has settled out and is a nice drink.

Sorry to hear about the slight taste I'm not sure how to answer.

I have one FV of 'trad' that fermented and has been sat in plastic brewing bucket primary for a year and a half now. As I didn't make any cider last year I haven't felt the urge to keep the conveyer belt going. Seeing this post has given me a kick up the a**e to get on, do a bit more bottling to free up some glass carboys and at least move that FV onto secondary.

The weather here is gorgeous. The apple trees are budding. I hear a rumour of colder weather next week but hopefully not frost. Let's hope for a better harvest this autumn.

Sorry to hear about the slight taste I'm not sure how to answer.

I have one FV of 'trad' that fermented and has been sat in plastic brewing bucket primary for a year and a half now. As I didn't make any cider last year I haven't felt the urge to keep the conveyer belt going. Seeing this post has given me a kick up the a**e to get on, do a bit more bottling to free up some glass carboys and at least move that FV onto secondary.

The weather here is gorgeous. The apple trees are budding. I hear a rumour of colder weather next week but hopefully not frost. Let's hope for a better harvest this autumn.

Thanks freester and good to see you back. I think frosts dont matter until the blossom is out which looks 2-3 weeks away to me. I will be interested in how that batch tastes after sitting in a plastic primary for 18 months !

Latest posts

Back