22 Gbp for a pint? Really? Clone anyone?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Per millilitre, the stout works out as more expensive than a bottle of luxury Belvedere vodka - which cost £45 each."

Comparing pub price for the beer and supermarket price for the vodka is daft. The vodka would be at least double that.

If I was going to clone a RIS it would be Founders KBS. Lots of good RIS recipes out there.

That "expensive" RIS is priced per-millilitre about the same as a glass of house wine in an average restaurant or high street chain bar (6.77 for 175ml) and, at 12%, is about the same alcohol content as well. It's about time the finest beers were appreciated at the same level as wine.

It'll be an ambitious brew, here's some stats to get you started :D
12% ABV
1.114 OG
~1.028 FG
70 IBU
Pale malt, dark crystal, chocolate malt and roasted barley.
Nugget and liberty hops.
WLP001 yeast.
Brewed with ka'u coffee (really expensive), coconut and vanilla.

Just returned from San Sebastian, Bar called Penguin was selling a bottle of the Thai Speedway for £52

I paid £20 for this 650ml bottle last night was it worth it? No. But I bloody enjoyed it. champagne costs more than that and it tastes like white lightning.
DSC_1375.JPG

... It's about time the finest beers were appreciated at the same level as wine.
Strange comment. aunsure....

Drop into your local supermarket. How much shelf space is set aside for wine, and how much for beer? What market share of beer sales would these outrageously priced "fad" beers attain? I think the idea anyone should force people to appreciate these "finest beers" is a bit of a non-starter.

What a load of cack! More than £3 for a bottle of any beer is too much. But if someone feels the need to pay it... You can get a pair of jeans in Asda for a fiver, and you can get some for ten times that in the same place. Just the same as far as I can tell, but with a different label on.

There are some daft prices being charged for beer these days. I understand prices are higher when loads of hops are involved, or for beer that's been aged for a decent length of time but £20 for a bottle from a shop (not even in a pub) is daylight robbery, real Emperor's New Clothes territory.

I disagree, when you make a beer that takes times, involves expensive ingredients plus these breweries have huge overheads and taxes etc.
I agree that some Omnipollo/Buxton beers are overpriced at £9 for a 330ml.
But the likes of Evil Twin and Ale Smith are higher priced as they have huge taxes in the States, plus import tax, UK Tax etc.
I also had the same Evil Twin as stigman, I enjoyed it a lot but had better Evil Twin Jesus for £8 a can.
You can pay £2 for some cans in Asda that just taste bilge.
I'm brewing my most expensive recipe again next week with cryo hops. Works out at £60 for 40 pints and is a 18g a litre dry hop. Works out at £1.50 a pint,

I resent going down south and paying £4 plus, for a pint in a boozer.
I'll stick to the local traditional pubs, which sell some traditional beers from localish breweries for £3.
I ain't tightfisted, but really, anything over a fiver for a beer is just lunacy.
That's just me though, if people enjoy it, then marvelous. I simply couldn't do it.

You genuinely believe that's true of beer??

Certainly, well, up to a point. Are the £50 pair of jeans ten times better than the £5 ones? Is the £22 beer 7 and a bit pounds better than the £3 one? Diminishing returns and all that. And I could not care less what a brewery's overheads / taxes etc etc are... if they can't produce a decent product at a reasonable price, they should pack it in and return to the ranks of employed.

Certainly, well, up to a point. Are the £50 pair of jeans ten times better than the £5 ones? Is the £22 beer 7 and a bit pounds better than the £3 one? Diminishing returns and all that. And I could not care less what a brewery's overheads / taxes etc etc are... if they can't produce a decent product at a reasonable price, they should pack it in and return to the ranks of employed.
Don't agree with you on clothes - £50 jeans are likely to last 4-5 times longer than £5 jeans at least, be better cut and less likely to be made in a sweatshop.

I disagree, when you make a beer that takes times, involves expensive ingredients plus these breweries have huge overheads and taxes etc.
I agree that some Omnipollo/Buxton beers are overpriced at £9 for a 330ml.
But the likes of Evil Twin and Ale Smith are higher priced as they have huge taxes in the States, plus import tax, UK Tax etc.
I also had the same Evil Twin as stigman, I enjoyed it a lot but had better Evil Twin Jesus for £8 a can.
You can pay £2 for some cans in Asda that just taste bilge.
I'm brewing my most expensive recipe again next week with cryo hops. Works out at £60 for 40 pints and is a 18g a litre dry hop. Works out at £1.50 a pint,

I can already tell it's going to taste amazing

Yes, i also believe with clothing you get what you pay for.
A £50 Teeshirt washes better, keeps it's shape better, keeps colour longer, blah blah blah.
I don't believe a £5 would have the same longevity.

The same as i would never pay £20 for a bottle of beer, nor would i pay over £4 for any pint (especially lager) in a pub.
IMHO it just isn't worth it. But we all have our opinions.

We have expensive cars, clothes, hotels, wines etc etc

Why can't we have expensive beers. It's not like we are saying it's a £23 pint of carling.

Is there a market for expensive beers, yes, a small one so leave them too it. Nobody is being forced to pay those prices, there are plenty of options

Back