22 Gbp for a pint? Really? Clone anyone?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if they can't produce a decent product at a reasonable price, they should pack it in and return to the ranks of employed.
But some brewers want to produce something that's more than decent. Surely you understand that some beers require considerably more time/effort/raw ingredients etc. than others and that will be reflected in the price? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying £22 is entirely justified, but I have willingly paid £15+ for certain beers in the past knowing that I'm getting a world class product, not just a decent one.

Overload a beer with good things like loads of malt and hops and it doesn't take enormous skill to come up with something good. In cookery …

If you load the recipe with double cream, even sawdust will taste good. Of course, you can add coffee, coconut and vanilla to the recipe in an attempt to make it taste foul.

Does this £20+ beer taste £15 or so better than a £5 beer?
That is what i would like to know. I would say £6/pint lager is not worth the £3.50 more than £2.50/pint lager.

My curries are ten times better than regular ones cos I put ten times as many chillis in. Adds a quid or so to the cost. I wear the £5 jeans for work in a filthy, greasy, gruelling engineering plant. They last forever. Also wear identical ones for everyday use. They last forever too and fade nicely, and I have no compulsion to go around showing folk the label, lest they ridicule my frugality and, erm, lack of discernment in the world of fashion.

Can't see what the problem is. I won't spend 20 knicker on a pint of beer because I can't afford to. In the same way that I can't afford to buy fine wine at £50 a bottle, hand massaged steak at £100 a kg, or cars for £100k a go. Doesn't mean that i object to others doing so, or feel the need to criticise those who who can afford these things and - from their perspective - feel that they are getting value

My curries are ten times better than regular ones cos I put ten times as many chillis in. Adds a quid or so to the cost. I wear the £5 jeans for work in a filthy, greasy, gruelling engineering plant. They last forever. Also wear identical ones for everyday use. They last forever too and fade nicely, and I have no compulsion to go around showing folk the label, lest they ridicule my frugality and, erm, lack of discernment in the world of fashion.

Going off topic here........
For your curries try getting some Mr Naga Chilli Paste from online auction sites like EBay... Give the heat and a fantastic flavour.

Going off topic here........
For your curries try getting some Mr Naga Chilli Paste from online auction sites like EBay... Give the heat and a fantastic flavour.

Thanks, but I've graduated to Carolina Reapers. Don't know where to go from here except tip more and more in!

I'm guessing no one has payed more for their homes than the cost to build, and that property only provides the bare minimum function of protecting them from the elements?

For me it is what I perceive to be value for money. £20+ for a beer isn't value for money to me. Sorry.

Don't agree with you on clothes - £50 jeans are likely to last 4-5 times longer than £5 jeans at least, be better cut and less likely to be made in a sweatshop.

I do not buy expensive jeans and the last time i wore a pair out was when i was a kid the only thing that has "made" me buy new is an expanding waistline. asad1

For me it is what I perceive to be value for money. £20+ for a beer isn't value for money to me. Sorry.

Spot on, they charge these ridiculous prices as they know there is always one idiot (show off etc) that will pay the vastly inflated price, as has been said no one is forces to buy it.

I ain't having a pop at those who choose to pay so much for beer, it's their money to spend as they see fit; I'm sure we all pay what others would consider lunacy, in pursuit of our various hobbies / obsessions. Hell, I once got duped by all the hype of the time into paying many ££s for 'audio grade' capacitors instead of the regular ones costing pennies. Guess what? They made no difference to the sonic excellence of my audio gear ( an obsession of mine ). Never again! And like fad beers costing the Earth, said capacitors weren't available for long, until the next chancers saw the gap in the market. On it goes...

With this £20 beer I wonder how much of the cost is time?
I'd like a picture of chippy teas crimplene bell bottoms...
Talking of bottoms...Gunge curry sounds frightening...I used to get "phall extra hot" from a now closed takeaway many years ago when phall wasn't on the menu. It was fantastic..made with very smokey tandoori chicken,blood red and ferociously hot...it would turn you deaf while eating it and your rear end into the Japanese flag. Still like the heat but can't be doing with the feeling of doom the next day.

Thanks, but I've graduated to Carolina Reapers. Don't know where to go from here except tip more and more in!

I remember a few years ago reading something about a bloke who had isolated the capsaicin (and possibly concentrated - cant remember exactly) from chillies. A small amount the size a grain of salt caused the tongue to swell up it was so intense

Latest posts

Back