250 miles closer to the brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajhutch

Landlord.
Reaction score
Brewdog beer from supermarkets in London is rubbish.

There you go, I said it. I rarely buy Punk in particular because I think it tastes pretty bland. Doesn’t help that it’s not kept in the fridge. But this week I was in Barrow-in-Furness for a few days and my dad had stocked the fridge with a few beers from the supermarket. And bugger me if I couldn’t actually taste some hop flavour in Punk and Dead Pony Club! It was resiny and dank and really quite enjoyable.

Intellectually I know about the importance of freshness in hoppy beers and can understand that being closer to the brewery is good, but I was quite shocked to experience it so starkly on a widely available product.

I had a look at the bottle and the Punk was brewed in mid January so not super young, but I must be honest and say I haven’t ever looked at a bottle down here to see if it takes much longer to arrive.

Anyway, no real point to this post, just a musing.

I've had a few over time, but I'm not a great fan. To me the consistency is variable, bit like you'd get from a bloke brewing in his shed.

Latest posts

Back