25kg malt £13.33

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbym123

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I used to travel up to Leeds fairly regularly with work, and stop off at Brewers select in Peterborough on the way, to buy a couple of sacks of malt. The price varies but is typically around £13/sack.

Unfortunately I no longer have a work reason for the journey. They do deliver, but they are more geared up to pallet size deliveries to breweries.

Would anyone Kent/Surrey/Sussex/South London based be interested in a group buy. Depending on the amount of interest and cost I would either arrange a pallet delivery to Reigate (just off the M25), from where you can collect. Alternatively if it is more economical I would be happy to drive to Peterborough to collect, for the cost of fuel. (250 miles return @ 13p/mile =32.50

Reckon we would need the order to be at least 12 sacks for this to be viable, ideally a lot more.

Suggest anyone interested posts a reply here so that we can guage numbers, can then take it from there.

Rob

Hi rob,

What malt is it? Is it crushed or uncrushed? I would be interested in buying a sack, and if I like it maybe more in the future.

Jake

Hey Jake

They do a pretty full range, lager, ale, Maris otter, crystal, vienna etc bothboth cru and unrushed.

I've used the crushed pale malt and lager malt, have found both to be fine.

Suggest you have a look at the brewers select website and see if anything takes your fancy.

You are right, if this works out I would want to place a group order every 2-3 months.

We could even buy a sack or two of speciality malts (crystal etc) and split them ourselves.

@robbym123 if you do go ahead I would have a sack of pale malt and munich. Let me know what your thinking as I need to buy grain soon.

Jake

Hey Jake,

I would buy 2 sacks as well, so we need another 6 sacks to minimum to make it viable.

Fingers crossed that we get a few more takers.

Hi Jake

Looks like there isn't enough interest to justify a group buy.

Suggest, therefore you buy your grain requirements elsewhere.

Will give you a shout if things change.

Cheers

Rob

I've only just seen this. I'd probably have a lager and a maris otter if you did go ahead. It would have to be crushed though, SWMBO won't let me buy a mill until Xmas.

Dammit just noticed it's a real old post. Oh well.

Hey Steven
Funny enough, shortly after this thread did have to go to Peterborough for an emergency passport appointment. Given the nature of the trip there was no time for a group buy, but I did pick up a couple of sacks for myself.

I have enough grain for the time being, but would be happy to give the group buy a go, say mid- end November, if there was enough interest.

Cheers

Rob

Back