25kg Muntons Light Malt Extract for £45

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The Cheshire Malt buying co-operative has sourced 8.7 tonnes of malt grain for members over the last 18 months

We can now source Muntons Malt extract for anything between £45 (Pale Ale Malt extract) to £105 (extra dark) for a 25kg jerry can

The key as ever is bulk - we would need to fill a pallet i.e. 34 X 25kg jerry cans or we could mix and match with grain. It strikes me that at these prices even with postage there is a significant saving to be made

Next question is who might be interested - I need a "show of hands"

Put me down for 1xLight and 1xAmber please!

That will be at least a years supply if we reckon that 3kg will give 40 pints an ABV of about 4%. Plus:
  • I am told that LME is good for at least a year after opening; but it will darken over time!
  • At the quoted prices I will happily travel 30 miles to pick it up by car; and more if I can collect it from a train station.
:hat:

I would be interested in one of the Pale Ale. I use malt extract for my yeast starters and the cost stacks up if you're buying it in 1kg retail bags

I would be interested in one of the Pale Ale. I use malt extract for my yeast starters and the cost stacks up if you're buying it in 1kg retail bags
A tip when making your next batch of beer make it big enough to keep back enough for a starter. Its already boiled and ready to go and more cost efficient

@the baron
Is there anything you do to preserve the wort between brews? I'm not a back to back brewer so I would be concerned about contamination between brews, especially as it would be unfermented.

Freeze it should do I would think.athumb..
You could then re-heat to pasteurisation temp and let cool to pitch temp
Now await the thousand suggestions that will come 🤣

Or you could just use your pre boil wort and freeze it. Won't take long to reboil a couple of litres when needed and no need to worry about nasties.
Ideally you don't want hops in your starter either.

Surely,(*) most of us “keggers” have access to CO2; in which case a quick “flush” with CO2 will put a blanket on top of the 25kg container and prevent oxidation.
:hat:

(*) Sorry, but I can’t write that word without thinking of ‘Frank Dreben’ in Airplane when he says to a colleague “… and stop calling me Shirley.”
clapa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back