25kg sack price?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess shelf life of crushed grain is of less concern than for a homebrewer, as the professionals use the whole bag at once.

41.5 dollars NZ for a 25kg sack, that's about 22 pounds, for Malteurop base malts.
I expect that will have gone up when I next buy. I do pick up from the local brewery so delivery is free.

I thought that too but my local one buys it ready crushed. They told me most brewery’s their size buy ready crushed.
Yes, particularly the smaller breweries will buy crushed

If you buy from a local brewery, you are also supporting your local community

I guess shelf life of crushed grain is of less concern than for a homebrewer, as the professionals use the whole bag at once.
Yes, exactly that. Plus, as there is little or no cost difference between buying crushed or uncrushed a grain mill isn’t worth the cost or the space it would take up for smaller breweries.

Craft beer and brewing feb mar 2021 starting page 44 " Mills for the grist" talking about malts and milling in detail.
Pre milled grain according to Ashton lewis BSG technical sales manager their research shows it is within spec and passing sensory tests at 6 months kept in barrier bags.

This surprised me but as said above most breweries are using the grain sooner than this, but it appears it could have been on the maltsters shelf premilled for a while before a brewer uses it " rapidly ".

I was staying near Warminster markings over Easter. I contacted them about buying some sacks. £36 for Mo and £33 for lager. Stuff that

At

Just email [email protected] and they will set you an account up. You don't need to have a company to order but you do need an account before they let you order. You also need to book in when you are coming to pick it up.

Thanks AJA I'll do that, I used to buy from Brewers Select when I did 18 months of weekend brewing on a small commercial scale (they've hung up their mash paddles now) but I didn't know they'd supply a home brewer.

Peterborough is my home-town too, but I've not been there for a few years now. Hardly knew the place, the last time I was there.

I used to buy it from local breweries. Almost all were universally helpful. Also very happy to give you some live yeast as well.

The last time I went though, they were reluctant to sell it (they said they get audited, and if the amount of beer going out is less than the grain coming in they get accused of bootlegging 🤷‍♂️). Given they were doing me a favour, I didn't want to push it. That was a couple of years ago though, so I may try it again next time I need to buy base malt.

I also work from home, so don't go past breweries on the way to work anymore

I'm planning a trip to Brewers Select, but my holiday has been refused, so it's not gonna happen in May. I can bring you a bag or 2 if you wish.
Tried to reply privately but it opened new conversation,don’t want to spam this thread 🙄 … I’d be much appreciated if you could grab bag of wheat malt and rice hulls .Thanks a bunch

The Brewers Select tip was a great shout. You have to register with them as a 'company' but as long as you're after a full 25kg sack, they are happy to supply home brewers.

Latest posts

Back