2l "mini keg" with PET bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben034

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi, I just wondered whether anyone has tried someting like this for dispensing small amounts of beer?

FHL72WIIH81ERSA.LARGE.jpg

I was thinking of this but perhaps with a 16g C02 type bulb and mini regulator.

I currently bottle and mainly have no issues with this. However, I can see this being useful for lagers / American type beers. A 2l bottle would fit in the fridge door. I have looked at all sorts of alternative mini kegging options (easy / minikegs, growlers dispensers) and with current space restraints, these wouldn't work. I appreciate that you could just prime and pour from the bottle but it would be a nice option to be able to have a few and then leave remaining beer for another week. Thoughts? Thanks

That looks pretty awesome, but it just feels like it would leak like hell.

That looks pretty awesome, but it just feels like it would leak like hell.
Yeah I think you may be correct. I was thinking whether it would be possible to buy something off the shelf that fits a 2l growler (like this one) and whether you could somehow adapt to fit a 2l PET bottle instead. If this solution existed, I think the problem would then be it would become too tall to fit in the side door of a fridge.

Just... WHY.
I brew in 10l batches and having a couple of 2l bottles for beer would be really useful for when people are round for a couple of beers and would allow a good selection of beers to chose from as you could build 2/3 tap systems for very little money. Whether it would actually work is another question for me!

3 of these in a coolbox with a soda stream bottle for gas would also be great in the garden in the summer. You could then replace with a primed 2l bottle when empty and seems like a flexible solution (in theory)

I've forced carbed in 1 and 2 litre pop bottles with cabonation caps I made from tyre valves. You really do have to make sure you've soaked all the goo off them because my first few tasted like WD-40. (That's set up line, btw.)

I've forced carbed in 1 and 2 litre pop bottles with cabonation caps I made from tyre valves. You really do have to make sure you've soaked all the goo off them because my first few tasted like WD-40. (That's set up line, btw.)
I think I would prime with sugar and just use gas to dispense

Kegland, the company behind Intertaps and the Fermzilla are coming out with something soon that will allow you to do exactly what you have proposed. I will dig out some pictures later of it.

Kegland, the company behind Intertaps and the Fermzilla are coming out with something soon that will allow you to do exactly what you have proposed. I will dig out some pictures later of it.
That would be very useful thanks

Why not just pour out of the bottle?
I wouldn't want to stir up all the yeast at the bottom of the bottle, especially with something like one of my pilsners that I have been lagering for a while. I can see why it may appear more trouble than worth but a 2l bottle with a tap would last a while in my fridge and allow for a couple to be on the go at a time.

"Tap a Draft" is the most similar to the system described above but now appears to be defunct. I assume people have moved to stainless steel but I think there is starting to be a growth in cheaper alternatives again?

They are currently tooling for it so expect it to be about 3 months before it’s available.
no idea on dimensions but it uses a standard PET thread on all the ends, so you can attach bottle tops or carbonation caps to two ends and any standard PET bottle to the bottom.
No idea on price but it’s just a piece of plastic so expect around a few quid. They have also started selling new plastic carbonation caps that do not suffer from seal issues that the metal ones do, as they do not need the oring in the inside bit; they are currently selling them individually in Australia/China but are about to start selling them gm half price in packs of ten for about £10, expect it to be about double here unless you import them yourself from China.

They are currently tooling for it so expect it to be about 3 months before it’s available.
no idea on dimensions but it uses a standard PET thread on all the ends, so you can attach bottle tops or carbonation caps to two ends and any standard PET bottle to the bottom.
No idea on price but it’s just a piece of plastic so expect around a few quid. They have also started selling new plastic carbonation caps that do not suffer from seal issues that the metal ones do, as they do not need the oring in the inside bit; they are currently selling them individually in Australia/China but are about to start selling them gm half price in packs of ten for about £10, expect it to be about double here unless you import them yourself from China.
Thanks! Do you know if it will have a diptube or ability to add one? Or is it designed for carbonation?

Back