2nd AG attempt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokinMesa

Reaction score
Hey all. So clearly I can't be doing small batch without having a few on the go at once eh?!

After my first ever homebrew attempt a few weeks ago I've just started my second.

Calculated for about 12.5litres.

2.5kg Pale malt
200g Crystal malt

Have some Columbus for the bittering and will add some Citra and Mosaic as late additions (with further dry hopping stage).

Cheers

Last edited:
Whilst you can use cascade for bittering I think it's a bit of a waste and should be kept for later additions. Have you anything else (apart from Citra and Mosaic)?

Whilst you can use cascade for bittering I think it's a bit of a waste and should be kept for later additions. Have you anything else (apart from Citra and Mosaic)?

Sorry not cascade, columbus.

They're all I have atm. Happy for suggestions tbh as very new to this. Looking for large hoppy modern APA type (Gamma Ray) flavours and aromas.

I realise I need more hops.

Last edited:
Congrats @SmokinMesa, how did the first one go? Have you kegged/bottled it yet?

Having not done an AG APA myself, my only comment would be a number of the recipes for Gamma Ray clones I have read use carapils and a very big hop list. How many grams are you using?

There is also a very good thread on here for this recipe, search for "Gamma Ray Original".

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Nick

Congrats @SmokinMesa, how did the first one go? Have you kegged/bottled it yet?

Having not done an AG APA myself, my only comment would be a number of the recipes for Gamma Ray clones I have read use carapils and a very big hop list. How many grams are you using?

There is also a very good thread on here for this recipe, search for "Gamma Ray Original".

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Nick

Cheers Nick.

I bought the Brewdog book which supposedly has the recipe in. Gives me, as an amateur, an idea.

I guess the smell of the hops gives a lot away. If you like the smell they should be used in the last boil stages/dry hop stage for aromas. Maybe I'm wrong there though.

Right so, it's in the FV. is at about 11.25 litres with a decent OG. Using the S-04 yeast.

Had a little taste from the gravity reading tube. I think I'm going to like this one 😁

Attachments

• 20200514_223520.jpg
    20200514_223520.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 99
It's got a very true colour to it already. Looks like you're on to a winner.

Cheers, Nick

Cheers Nick.

I bought the Brewdog book which supposedly has the recipe in. Gives me, as an amateur, an idea.

I guess the smell of the hops gives a lot away. If you like the smell they should be used in the last boil stages/dry hop stage for aromas. Maybe I'm wrong there though.

Right so, it's in the FV. is at about 11.25 litres with a decent OG. Using the S-04 yeast.

Had a little taste from the gravity reading tube. I think I'm going to like this one 😁
I have the book and you'll find it's full of discrepancies regarding measures and weights but still worth having if you like a hoppy beer...

Thanks man yea I mean I'm never going to be able to "clone" a recipe anyway but gives me an idea about grain and hop and potential flavour profiles.

I think the best way is just to keep brewing, keep experimenting, keep drinking 🥰

Latest posts

Back