3/4" Anti-Sediment Nut

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Browsing through Brew2Bottle, I see they sell this nut. Is this any good at blocking sediment? Anyone know if I can I bottle straight from the FV, using a bottling stick, even if dry hopped with lots of floaties? Up until now I have siphoned off using a mesh over the siphon end, then put back into the barrel and only then bottled. This simple nut could save a step... But its not clear how it works. Is there an inbuilt mesh etc ?

I have one. It has no mesh, although you could maybe fit something. As far as I can see, the idea is that the orifice is partially blocked. If I could pack the tap to ensure the blocked bit was at the bottom it would maybe keep sediment out. Doubt it would help with any floating bits.

I intend to replace it as I'm only using it on a bottling bucket and it means there is a bit more left in the bucket at the end.

Maybe someone else has a better experience.

I should have been clearer.

With the tap at the right height and the nut oriented correctly, I'm sure it would do exactly what is intended which is to block the sediment on the bottom of the fv from entering the tap.

For me, and I suspect for you too, not much use.

Others may find it does exactly what they want.

I've decided to add a bottling bucket to my process, bottling with a manual siphon from the FV last time was utter faff.

Looks like I don't really need one of these? If I do get one, I suppose I can just add it as far down the bucket as I can?

I've decided to add a bottling bucket to my process, bottling with a manual siphon from the FV last time was utter faff.

Looks like I don't really need one of these? If I do get one, I suppose I can just add it as far down the bucket as I can?

I use a bottling stick attached to the tap. You have to tip the FV a little as it gets below the tap line, but works fine. I now siphon to a spare FV using a mesh bag that came with a dry hop kit, add the priming sugar as a batch, siphon back to the first FV and then bottle from there. I only siphon back as the spare bucket has the tap WAAAY too high. I am planning to buy a FV with no tap - use that for primary, siphon to the one with the tap and bottle from there. This nut seems pointless!

For a dedicated bottling bucket you are right gingerneil.

Not just pointless, but a definite disadvantage.

May I ask why you don't use the fv's the other way round to save racking twice?

May I ask why you don't use the fv's the other way round to save racking twice?

Maybe I should! However, the second bucket is one of the narrow necked ones from Wilko. I was waiting for some bottles to arrive and needed another FV to move a brew over and avoid the dry hops being in too long - they didnt have any of the standard ones in stock to I just grabbed what they had. A bit of a panic buy! I've never tried, but I expect its awful to actual brew in - the top is far too narrow to be able to stir properly etc. The top also need a proper bung and cant just take a siphon tube for the airlock - and I dont have one of those. I did buy another ritchies bucket and tap a while ago - but destroyed it trying to bore a hole for the tap! Shouldn't have bothered with the tap anyway in hindsight... I'll prob order a simple 23l one from Brew2bottle when their Magrove Jacks delivery arrives and I can finally order some Juicy IPA... their buckets are crazy cheap.

Its one of these: Wilko Wide Neck Fermentation Vessel 25L | Wilko

Ah, I'm currently fermenting in and bottling out of a 25l bucket with no tap. I plan on adding a tap to it and making that my bottling bucket.

I've ordered a 30l bucket which will become my new fermenting bucket - all part of the grand plan to eventually step up to 23l batches.

I'll prob order a simple 23l one from Brew2bottle when their Magrove Jacks delivery arrives and I can finally order some Juicy IPA... their buckets are crazy cheap.

Its one of these: Wilko Wide Neck Fermentation Vessel 25L | Wilko

I have 3 from Brew2Bottle for that exact reason £££ and yet I am waiting for payday to buy a couple of 25L jerry cans so I can fit to full size brews in my fridge at once 😉

Ah, I'm currently fermenting in and bottling out of a 25l bucket with no tap. I plan on adding a tap to it and making that my bottling bucket.

I've ordered a 30l bucket which will become my new fermenting bucket - all part of the grand plan to eventually step up to 23l batches.

From kit? you can fit a 23l kit in a 25l bucket ok. might want to consider a blow off valve for first few days but not needed for anything other than higher ABV kits

Careful cutting the hole for the tap - you might be better with off buying one already done. I failed miserably!

From kit? you can fit a 23l kit in a 25l bucket ok. might want to consider a blow off valve for first few days but not needed for anything other than higher ABV kits

All grain/brew in a bag is the plan. 30l fits as neatly as 25l in my current brew fridge so thought I may as well take advantage of the room.

Careful cutting the hole for the tap - you might be better with off buying one already done. I failed miserably!

I have a holesaw set... How hard can it be? I'll report back.

Just a thought on the tap height. If the tap is not to protrude below the bucket, it will be very high for bottling. On the other hand, a lower fitting will require a plinth for the fv to sit on when filling.

The Brew2Bottle fv with a hole is the former.

I have one of the Wilko wide neck fermenters, although it is the older version. I use it for wine but always start off in a 25l bucket because of vigorous fermentation at the beginning.

I was wondering about the height. My plan was to install it so that it's flush with the bottom of the bucket with the tap turned through 90 degrees, and I can turn it back when I'm bottling. It's going to have to go on the edge of my worksurface anyway for the wand to have somewhere to be.

I thought of that but didn't like the idea of trying to turn the tap when full.

Safer to raise the bucket when filling, then onto the counter top as you say.

28mm for the tap I bought. I have that as a hole saw and as a spade bit. Think I'll clamp the bucket to some scrap wood and drill from the inside out.

Latest posts

Back