3/8" to 3/16" Gas line reduction.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banbeer

Banbeer Brewing
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope that you are all as well as can be expected? Quick question about my kegerator project that I'm hoping to start on Monday when my fridge arrives, although I will have room inside the new larder fridge to keep the C02 canister in I ideally would like it outside the fridge for ease of regulating etc. I watched a kegerator build on Malt Millers You tube site and he ran a 3/16" gas pipe through the drain hole and onto the corny, I know how to connect it all up via reducers etc but has anyone tried this and run into any problems? I don't want to drill a hole in the side of the fridge as this will void my warranty. thanks in advance, stay safe all.

Provided the drain is big enough it'll work nicely. My CO2 bottle lives happily outside the fridge.

Sorry, I didn't read your original post properly at all. I am familiar with reducing the line on the liquid side, but have no experience on the gas side. Can't see any issues in principle though.

There is no problem using john guest or similar reducers to run a 3/16 gas line the only minor issue is the more adapters you use the more chance one leaks and its easier to miss them on gas than liquid.

No issues with the reduced bore for the gas lines, I did this on my last kegerator :)

On my new one I'm using flexible Eva barrier lines from China, had to replace all my fittings but it's been worth it.

There is no problem using john guest or similar reducers to run a 3/16 gas line the only minor issue is the more adapters you use the more chance one leaks and its easier to miss them on gas than liquid.
Thanks, I was looking at fitting JG reducers, so would you advise fitting the whole length of line as 3/16" and buy the adapters that fit onto the disconnects?
No issues with the reduced bore for the gas lines, I did this on my last kegerator :)
On my new one I'm using flexible Eva barrier lines from China, had to replace all my fittings but it's been worth it.
Thanks, was looking at JG fittings at the moment for simplicity.

Just a follow up and thanks for the advice @simon12 and @cheeseyfeet, took it from the regulator using the 3/8" gas tube(grey) and then used the reducer in pic 2 to get it down to 3/16", I did the same on the disconnect to the corny as in pic 3 and fed it through the drain hole in the fridge I then connected the 3/16" pipe(white) to the reducers each end, the drain hole is wide enough to drain as well so that's a bonus. Loving my Corny set up and glad I took the plunge.

kegerator.jpgkegerator 1.jpgkegerator 2.jpg

I also bought some Buffalo leak tester(a tad expensive but will last ages)and tested all the joints etc, for those that haven't tried the leak tester it's a thick spray that comes out of a aerosol can and coats the joints and is very bubbly if you have a leak, fortunately I didn't see how bubbly it was.

Looking good, now you just have to keep filling the kegs! Emptying them is never an issue ...
I know what you mean, I now have 3 beer fridges and the kegerator so production while i'm furloughed is in full swing, just need a couple more cornies to add to the fleet.

Latest posts

Back