4 day bank holiday.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Queen’s platinum jubilee to be marked with four-day bank holiday in 2022 (The Guardian)

A four-day bank holiday weekend will mark the Queen’s platinum jubilee next summer to celebrate the monarch’s 70 years on the throne.

National events will include a live concert featuring some of the world’s biggest stars, a service of thanksgiving and, perhaps the Queen’s own highlight, a day at the races.

The 2022 break will run from Thursday 2 June until Sunday 5 June, with the late May bank holiday moving to 2 June to allow the extended break.

It is part of a planned year of events to mark the first time a British sovereign has been on the throne for seven decades.

The Queen and other royals will travel around the country carrying out a range of royal engagements culminating with the platinum jubilee weekend.

A live concert will be staged at Buckingham Palace – Platinum Party at the Palace – during the Saturday of the long weekend. Performers have yet to be named but it is billed as bringing together some of the world’s biggest entertainment stars.

The Queen, a keen horse breeder, and her family will fill the royal box for the Derby, held at Epsom Downs in Surrey, before the concert.

The weekend will begin on Thursday with trooping the colour, which will be staged in full for the first time since the pandemic.

Platinum jubilee beacons will also be lit throughout the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and UK overseas territories – a tradition used to celebrate royal jubilees, weddings and coronations.

For the first time the ceremonial bonfires will be set ablaze in each of the capital cities of the Commonwealth countries to celebrate the Queen’s milestone.

A service of thanksgiving for the Queen’s reign will be held at St Paul’s Cathedral on the Saturday.

Communities across the country will sit down together for the Big Jubilee Lunch during the Sunday, the final day of the bank holiday weekend.

Details of a competition to design the official emblem for the celebrations will be announced this month. In keeping with tradition, a platinum jubilee medal will be awarded to people who work in public service, including representatives of the armed forces, the emergency services and the prison services

And will employers have to fork out a day's pay for their employees during this extended frivolity or will her platinum-lined Maj's HMRC foot the bill?

How about leaving the late May bank holiday as it is (I hate Mondays with a passion anyway) and give everyone an extended bank holiday on the dates given in addition? We don’t get enough bank holidays here compared to the rest of Europe as it is.

We don’t get enough bank holidays here compared to the rest of Europe as it is.

I never knew we were so far down on the list -

The countries with the most public holidays
India – 18 days
Colombia – 18 days
Thailand – 16 days
Lebanon – 16 days
South Korea – 16 days
Japan – 16 days
Argentina – 15 days
Chile – 15 days
Finland – 15 days
Turkey – 14.5 days

The countries with the fewest public holidays
Puerto Rico – 9 days
United Arab Emirates – 9 days
Germany – 9 days
Ireland – 9 days
Switzerland – 9 days
Serbia – 9 days
Netherlands – 8 days
United Kingdom – 8 days
Hungary – 8 days
Mexico – 7 days

And will employers have to fork out a day's pay for their employees during this extended frivolity or will her platinum-lined Maj's HMRC foot the bill?

As the list above shows i am sure they can afford to give us one day extra.

As the list above shows i am sure they can afford to give us one day extra.

Big companies, perhaps, but what about small businesses trying to keep their heads above water even before Brexit and Covid hit their chances. I know more than one who should really throw in the towel, but don't want to let their staff down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know more than one who should really throw in the towel, but don't want to let their staff down.

In those cases surely the best action would be to explain to the staff how deep **** the business is in and if they had to pay another days holiday for all employees the business may have to close.

In those cases surely the best action would be to explain to the staff how deep **** the business is in and if they had to pay another days holiday for all employees the business may have to close.
If a bank holiday is declared, aren't all businesses obliged to observe it or else pay overtime rates, or have I got it wrong?
Genuine question.

If a bank holiday is declared, aren't all businesses obliged to observe it or else pay overtime rates, or have I got it wrong?
Genuine question.

They may be obliged to observe it or pay overtime but if the business is in such dire straights surely explaining the situation (as in my earlier post) then maybe suggesting employees could take an extra days leave in the future when the business is back on its feet would keep everyone happy.

Shame I haven't kept my Stuff the Jubilee badge from the 1977 silver jubilee.
I shall go away somewhere quiet and play the Sex Pistols' God Save The Queen very loudly.

Latest posts

Back