4 week grain to glass recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To cut a long story short, I've been asked by my head honcho if I'll do a brew for a virtual Christmas get together in mid December for the team.
Another service manager is donating wine he brewed last year and another used to be a chef and is sending out some cakes and pastries.
It's all going to be posted and we'll all get together on Teams and eat, drink , be merry.
Now stupidly I've put myself under massive pressure and said yes. So I need to brew 30 pints of beer to send out to 15 global service managers/finance directors for the 18th December.
Has anyone got a foolproof generic beer that's guaranteed to be ready in 4 weeks?
My thinking is a simple pale ale of MO and first gold/EKG with some notty yeast with an og of about 1.040. Brew it warm(ish) at 20-22c and bottle it after a week and carb it warm(ish) at 20-22c for 2 weeks then store it very cold for a week before posting.
That should then give a week for the recipients to store it to settle the sediment before our night in/out/in and be a fairly middle of the road generic 4% English pale...
Does this sound feasible? Or do you think an American IPA would be better and bury any 'green' flavours with hops?

H.E.L.P

Hi @Nicks90, I've used kveik Voss in an IPA before and was not dissapointed, if you're able to ferment at 38°C? It fermented out in 3 or 4 days and then cold crashed for a couple more then corny kegged, I think I was drinking it on day 7 as I blast carb.

Hi @Nicks90

Like @MickDundee suggests, hefeweizen is usually the "go-to" beer for quick turnarounds ... but for a variation on the theme, I'd suggest the Rye-Wit included in the set of session beer recipes over there (link) ... it's low ABV so won't need time to let too much alcohol flavour condition in, the rye leaves it with plenty of body for such a low ABV beer, the strong malt and hop flavours mean it isn't reliant on any particular yeast flavours so any "neautral" yeast will do, you can dry-hop to further help cover any leftover "green" flavours, just in case ... and you can be quite sure none of the tasters will ever have had a Rye-Wit before so they won't have any preconceptions as to what it should taste like athumb..

Cheers, PhilB

I’d go for a neipa style or hoppy pale (I think these drink best fresh!), with a decent English yeast. Dry hop at pitch and at 5 days. Bit of a crowd pleaser with mosaic, citra and galaxy say.

I wouldn’t worry about a week cold, just make sure they have two weeks to carb! You can always get them in the post with the instructions to put in the fridge a week before.

golden promise, vienna, S-04 and citra, galaxy and mosaic. Yum. Would be ready in 3 weeks if you keg, 4 weeks if you bottle.

I like the idea of a hefe, but I don't have some of the ingredients and waiting for then would potentially eat a week of my time scales.
So I've sort of chickened out.

I have done 3 brews in the past few weeks for my Christmas stocks, a bitter, an IPA and a saison. So I'm going to cheat and give them all the opportunity to chose what they want from those 3. As they are all bottled in the past week, that will give them 4 weeks to carb and condition before sending them out
I don't want to send any of them really, as they are 'mine', but at least today's brew can be what I want and splash out on hops/flavour instead of doing a bland brew to try and suit all tastes.

Latest posts

Back