40 pint plastic pressure kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafbach

Reaction score
I have been using these for a while, some are better than others for keeping their pressure.

What I have found is that whilst carbonating for 2 weeks in my FV at 20C after approximately 7 days the beer drips from the tap due to excess pressure in the keg.

What I have been doing is releasing some of the pressure either by drawing some beer through the tap or opening the top to allow some pressure to escape that way.

What is the correct method? Is is a simple fact that its carbonated to its fullest amount and should be transferred to a cooler area or do we stick to the 2 weeks?

I use Brewersfriend priming calculator to work out the correct amount of granulated sugar to use for the style of beer. I dissolve in boiling water for a period prior to cooling and pouring into the keg.

Thank you.

The tap shouldn't be leaking, so that needs replacing if its the tap itself, or look at the seal around the tap. The lid should have a pressure release valve, just a hole with a rubber band over it. These are rated at approx. 15psi. You shouldn't be venting the keg.

The tap shouldn't be leaking, so that needs replacing if its the tap itself, or look at the seal around the tap. The lid should have a pressure release valve, just a hole with a rubber band over it. These are rated at approx. 15psi. You shouldn't be venting the keg.
Thanks for the reply. I have fitted a different cap, one which can take C02 bulbs, should I go with the original as described by yourself initially and change to the C02 at a later stage?

I will look at changing the tap once I've gone through this brew.

I have messed about with a variety of pressure barrels and have found the tap on the old style wilko one does just leak when under pressure regardless of what you do. I would also recommend not using more than 85g of priming sugar.

If the cap has the fitting for taking a CO2 bulb, then it will have the little band around the base of the fitting, this is the pressure release valve.

I never prime to more than 1.5 volumes in the a plastic keg, acknowledging that I'll have to top up the co2 towards the end of the batch

If its a budget barrel with the lever tap then unfortunately they are prone to dripping when the pressure in the barrel gets anywhere near high.best fix is change it to a drum tap but even those have problems the worst being on the tight side to turn on and off especially when your barrel is less than half full as you tend to find the barrel turns with it once its lighter

If the cap has the fitting for taking a CO2 bulb, then it will have the little band around the base of the fitting, this is the pressure release valve.
I'm currently using a S30 cap which doesn't have the band, however, tomorrow I will be using a cap as described above. So to release pressure do I pull up the band slightly to expose a vent?

Back