5 gallon boilers/coolers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmass96

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was looking to brew a bigger batch than the usual 1 gallon batches that I've done/am doing so far, so am looking to get a bigger kettle, preferably one that heats itself as my electric hobs won't really do the trick...struggled getting my previous worts to boil and they were only 1 gallon as I say.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for what I can get? I see ScrewFix have something (link below) but not sure whether it'd do the trick. Budget would *preferably* be around £150 but may be willing to spend more, just need more time to save.

I would then also be looking to get a cooler too if anyone could recommend anything?

Cheers folks!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/cygnet-4...rc=aw.ds#product_additional_details_container

That’s a 10L boiler so you’d probably struggle to get more than a 1 or 1.5 gallon brew in there if you consider boil off etc

You’ll eventually decide you want to do full 20/23L batches anyway so my advice would be to go for a 30L boiler.

Edit: Just realised I was looking at a “suggested item” as the 10L boiler, the one you linked was 20L. However I’d still look for a 30L if I were you to be able to do full 23L batches.

I can't see why this wouldn't do the job (maybe it's just slightly on the small side).

The only issue I find is the rolling boil.

You may find that it's too aggressive, and that the thermostat knocks out, so some modification may be required.

I have the ACE boiler.
For the thermostat knock out, I relocated the stat from under the boiler.

As for my rolling boil, I built a plug socket with a simmer stat installed.
Once I've reached boiling point, I set this simmer stat to about 4.5.
The wort boils, just gets aggressive then settles down, just about settles down and then boils again.

Cheers!

Do you have any particular link to any ACE boilers you'd recommend or a website to look at by any chance?

I can't see why this wouldn't do the job (maybe it's just slightly on the small side).

The only issue I find is the rolling boil.

You may find that it's too aggressive, and that the thermostat knocks out, so some modification may be required.

I have the ACE boiler.
For the thermostat knock out, I relocated the stat from under the boiler.

As for my rolling boil, I built a plug socket with a simmer stat installed.
Once I've reached boiling point, I set this simmer stat to about 4.5.
The wort boils, just gets aggressive then settles down, just about settles down and then boils again.

Cheers!

Do you have any particular link to any ACE boilers you'd recommend or a website to look at by any chance?
I believe the company that we’re importing the ACE boiler either stopped doing them or ceased trading, which is a shame because they were great!

hi bmass,i must have got one of the last ace mash/boilers before ace shut the doors.paid £140 and it came with a grain bag [£24].still good after at least 60 brews,just the lights on the switches have failed. the same boiler is available http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338413729&icep_item=202560652641 ,it has sieve insert and false bottom,but no grain bag.my cooler cam from ebay £35 with tail,s and i could not make a better one myself.

Ah that is a shame, shall be something similar I'm sure though, fingers crossed!

I believe the company that we’re importing the ACE boiler either stopped doing them or ceased trading, which is a shame because they were great!

That's brilliant, thanks Connor!

hi bmass,i must have got one of the last ace mash/boilers before ace shut the doors.paid £140 and it came with a grain bag [£24].still good after at least 60 brews,just the lights on the switches have failed. the same boiler is available http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338413729&icep_item=202560652641 ,it has sieve insert and false bottom,but no grain bag.my cooler cam from ebay £35 with tail,s and i could not make a better one myself.

Thanks Minimag! Looks good, worth the extra bit of saving. Starting my next 1 gallon batch this weekend so perhaps by the end of that I'll look to get either this or similar acheers.

I have the Klarstein Maischsfest (https://www.klarstein.co.uk/Home-ap...1500-3000W-25l-LCD-Touch-Stainless-Steel.html) 30L for my BIAB brews, and it does a good job. It has 2 elements 1.5kw and 3kw, it heats up 25l on 3kw in about 25 minutes to 69C (my strike temp), it has a stainless steel sieve for the grain bill and also comes with a wort chiller - it is £200 though

Back