5 gallon wine brewing tip

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon27

Reaction score
Here is a tip for anyone who brews 5 gallon wine kits. I no longer use tap water which is full of additives and I don’t sterilise my bottles! I buy 2 ltr bottles of still spring water from the supermarket Aldi , Tesco and Asda do them at a round 17p a bottle. Used the water for your wine and makes sure you put the lids on the empty bottles nice and tight, then in 7-10 days you can bottle your wine straight into the empty bottles they have only had water in so are clean. I have been doing this now for over 2 years saves a lot a hard work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a tip for anyone who brews 5 gallon wine kits. I no longer use tap water which is full of additives and I don’t sterilise my bottles! I buy 2 ltr bottles of still spring water from the supermarket Aldi , Tesco and Asda do them at a round 17p a bottle. Used the water for your wine and makes sure you put the lids on the empty bottles nice and tight, then in 7-10 days you can bottle your wine straight into the empty bottles they have only had water in so are clean. I have been doing this now for over 2 years saves a lot a hard work.

Sounds like an approach. I no longer make wine myself as SWMBO suggested this was not a good idea, given my great liking for home brewed beer...

How do you break down the 2L bottles - would you have one or two "decanting" glass bottles come drinking time?

I'm asking this as many other readers would be interested.

While this method may have worked fine for you i have to post this as a warning to any new wine makers reading this.

I no longer use tap water which is full of additives

There is no reason to use bottled water the additives do not harm the wine and no kits i have ever made have reccomended using bottled water.

you can bottle your wine straight into the empty bottles they have only had water in so are clean

While there maybe no risk of your wine spoiling due to not sterilising the bottles the head space you create when you pour the wine from the 5l bottles is an issue the more head-space the more the risk of oxidisation and a ruined wine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back