5 Homebrew things I won't do

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll add
- worry about 'infections'
- worry about that single molecule of oxygen that might get near my beer
These are 2 of mine, along with
  • worry about documenting a full brew day. As long as I have my recipe, have everything weighed out and I more or less hit my SG I’m happy.
  • Brew anything with an ABV higher than 7%

None of the OPs points would be on my list, although I am wary of no boil. I regularly add big dry hops, I have an all in one and have been known to no-chill when convenient (although not in conjunction with a big dry hop). I’d like to pressure ferment at some point, and have a Fermentasaurus but will wait until I eventually upgrade to Corny kegs.

Last edited:
Here's my starter for 5
1. Pressure ferment
2. Buy an all-in-one system
3. Dry hop with massive amounts of hops
4. No chill
5. No boil
Don't ask why this is just personal choice.
Agree with those bar the all in one system, I have brewed with a lot of systems and the SVB is the most convenient.

• No expensive stainless steel and technical gear (that's anything from mashing to boiling, to fermenting and serving) (well, the mill, the pH meter, the wort chiller and a digital thermometer excepted)
  • Indeed, no real worries about oxygen, just be careful with transferring mash and wort
  • No NEIPA
  • No sour beers
I find personally that the worry about contamination is a driver to execute the process clean and careful, so a bit of worry here (no obsession) is positive for me.

1 listen to know it alls who turn it into the worlds hardest job, if you can make a cup of tea/soup you can make beer
2 buy a tilt hydrometer
3 give up my brew shed for “normal” things
4 stop sampling every beer until it’s ready, which usually means half of its gone by then.
5 keep trying to convince Carling drinkers I’m not making “rocket fuel” because I’m so poor I can’t afford **** water

OP 1,3 &5
terrym 2
Cthon all
pms67 all

add:
1- measure mash pH to the nth degree
2- buy Cornie Kegs
3- stop brewing more than I can drink
4- stop reading beer / brewing books over and over again just for pleasure
5- abandon my quest for the Perfect Best Bitter
6- fret over IBUs. I've no idea how much alpha acid remains after six months storage so I use the formula given in the Brupaks guide to hops, don't worry too much about late additions and eat your heart out Glenn Tinseth. (Unless I'm brewing strong to liquor back later in which case I combine the two).
7- Believe a single word that's written in the Brewdog recipe book- especially about hops.

Last edited:
Thinking about mine, I can sum it up in two points:
  1. Go beyond what is fun in this hobby so it's not enjoyable for me anymore.
  2. Have one source of truth

To me its fun when that stops i will hang the fv up, i dont do fancy stuff i just open my recipe builder and fire away look at the numbers and brew it, i dont take notes its not that serious to me all my beers have been drinkable and the joy for me is every now and then you hit the jackpot, i do keep the recipes on a seperate hard drive so i can do the really good ones again

Interesting thread. I will never:

1. Brew any style with "session" in the name
2. Worry about HSA
3. Use liquid yeast without a starter
4. Be satisfied that my homebrew is as good as it could possibly be
5. Stop buying great commercial beers for "research" purposes.

Here's my starter for 5
1. Pressure ferment
4. No chill
5. No boil
Agree with your top three. I have done no-chill out of necessity before having an immersion chiller. It worked out ok. Tried a no-boil batch a few weeks ago which is carbing up just now. A sample taste last night tells me it might need a bit of conditioning, but the experiment worked - it looks and tastes like beer.

Things I wouldn't do?
I never say never because tastes change and I might just have my eyes opened to new brewing things in the future, but for now:
1. Corny kegs, kegerator and all that co2 faff.
2. Lots of expensive shiny stainless gear
3. Scaling up and brewing to sell, it wouldn't be as fun if it wasn't a hobby
4. Won't make the mistake of letting demand outstrip supply, gotta keep brewing.

Here's mine.

1. In direct opposition to CC, buy a wort chiller
2. Make an IPA or anything super hoppy
3. Make anything over 6%
4. Buy anything shiny because it's too expensive (not that I wouldn't like shiny stuff)
5. Dry hop - I've only done it once and even the cost of doing that nearly gave me a heart attack.

Here's my starter for 5
1. Pressure ferment
4. No chill
5. No boil
3&4 is mainly how I brew and I have did 3 batches of number 5, two of which were a great success

And by that I mean not to be so bloody minded that one way of doing something is the only or best way. Tomorrow might throw new light on something. Brewing and beer has evolved, it will continue to do so. Because I do something today doesn't mean I will ignore everything else to come or changes

2. shoot an idea, technique or beer style down until you have tried it yourself.
I did try a no boil wheat beer. When I look at the amount of energy we waste, boiling stuff up for 70+ minutes just to cool it down as quickly as we can, I shudder. Not very green, is it? However, I was very disappointed with the beer. Nothing "off" with it. It just didn't taste right and I ended up chucking most of it.
What styles do you think suit this method best, samale?

I did try a no boil wheat beer. When I look at the amount of energy we waste, boiling stuff up for 70+ minutes just to cool it down as quickly as we can, I shudder. Not very green, is it? However, I was very disappointed with the beer. Nothing "off" with it. It just didn't taste right and I ended up chucking most of it.
What styles do you think suit this method best, samale?
Steve has a good review of the raw English IPA I did on his tread I am not sure how to link it. I want to try a stout next. @BeerCat brews a fair bit of no boil beer that's where I got my ideas from. My first was an American wheat which didn't go right. I also did a heffweizen which worked well.

I will never (some of these have already been alluded to);

1. Say Never.
2. Stop learning fromm history.
3. Close my eyes to the future.
4. Do something just because it always has been done that way or is the de facto latest 'best way'.
5. Stop going to the pub, as however good my beer might get, it will never replace the social and community aspects of my local boozer.

Latest posts

Back