5 Litre Cans/Mini Kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyW

Regular.
Reaction score
Morning all
I bought one of those reusable 5L cans. Luckily it was empty so I didn't have to battle through 5 litres of awful Heineken. I'm going to use it for the first time this weekend instead of bottles and I'm wondering the best way to sanitise it. I was thinking of an Oxi soak and then boiling water rinse. Any other suggestions? I don't have StarSan.
I recently did an oven sanitation of some bottles, would that work for this can too??
Cheers as always for the wisdom!

Don't put it in the oven. I suspect the inside is lined with teflon or similar to prevent rust. Not sure how it would take to heating. I rinse mine out with a solution of sodium metabisulphite and then clean water. But your oxi soak method should do the trick.

Don't put it in the oven. I suspect the inside is lined with teflon or similar to prevent rust. Not sure how it would take to heating. I rinse mine out with a solution of sodium metabisulphite and then clean water. But your oxi soak method should do the trick.
Super! thanks

I thought the Heineken kegs weren't reusable? Do you have a picture of the top?

Oxy should be good enough. Once the wort has alcohol, it is much less sensitive to infection, though not immune!
5l mini kegs are great if you are going to drink the whole thing in one session (you may need help!). If you could inject CO2 that would be fine. Letting air in when the pressure drops will severely taint the beer when left for a day or 2. The taps also tend to be a weak point. Apart from that they'd be idea for me! Or does someone have any smart ideas to address these things?

I thought the Heineken kegs weren't reusable? Do you have a picture of the top?
Sorry I meant I bought a reusable one. It came empty. I have seen "how to" videos of people refilling Heineken etc cans, but of course you have to drink what originally comes inside.

Oxy should be good enough. Once the wort has alcohol, it is much less sensitive to infection, though not immune!
5l mini kegs are great if you are going to drink the whole thing in one session (you may need help!). If you could inject CO2 that would be fine. Letting air in when the pressure drops will severely taint the beer when left for a day or 2. The taps also tend to be a weak point. Apart from that they'd be idea for me! Or does someone have any smart ideas to address these things?
The one I've bought hasn't got a tap, just the seal at the top. When you want to use it there's a CO2 tap thingy (that I'm yet to buy) that you stick on the top.

Morning all
I bought one of those reusable 5L cans. Luckily it was empty so I didn't have to battle through 5 litres of awful Heineken. I'm going to use it for the first time this weekend instead of bottles and I'm wondering the best way to sanitise it. I was thinking of an Oxi soak and then boiling water rinse. Any other suggestions? I don't have StarSan.
I recently did an oven sanitation of some bottles, would that work for this can too??
Cheers as always for the wisdom!
Oxi soak then boiling water rinse just before packaging is what I do. Don't forget to use an oven glove athumb..

Oxi soak then boiling water rinse just before packaging is what I do. Don't forget to use an oven glove athumb..
No issue with any of the tap parts and the boiling water? I have an adnams minikeg that will need refilling for the first time next week. Is Starsan (diluted) ok with these kegs?

No issue with any of the tap parts and the boiling water? I have an adnams minikeg that will need refilling for the first time next week. Is Starsan (diluted) ok with these kegs?
Using a lot of the Adnams Ghost Ship mini kegs at the moment and I just swill them out when finished and use a no rinse on the day of kegging, works for me so far.

If they are plastic lined I would be worried about what boiling water would do to them. probably not designed for such.

All the Best,
D. White

The one I've bought hasn't got a tap, just the seal at the top. When you want to use it there's a CO2 tap thingy (that I'm yet to buy) that you stick on the top.
If you buy the Adnams type or Shipyard they have the correct type bung in the top that you can use with the party star C02 system or you can reuse if needed.

If they are plastic lined I would be worried about what boiling water would do to them. probably not designed for such.

All the Best,
D. White
Yikes I hope not! Just put a load of boiling water in it! Well, if I've knackered it I'll let you all know :confused.:

Back