5 litre mini keg (supermarket type)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidHatton

Reaction score
Evening All,

Does anyone have an empty keg the above style ghostship if possible, I would like a favour.
could someone take a picture of the tap when its pulled out for serving, mainly the tap hole and possibly measure the diameter.
my thinking is that I might be able to connect it via a john guest fitting of somekind and open the top vent and pull it through my beer engine.

I have seen a youtuber put it through the top vent but I fancy trying the other way.

Thank you in advance

David

What do you mean by the diameter of the tap hole? Do you mean the inner diameter of the tap spout that the beer comes out of? Or do you want someone to remove the tap from the keg and then measure the remaining hole in the keg where the tap used to be? Or something else?
If I can understand what you want and it doesn't involved removing the tap from the keg then I can measure one for you.

Be aware that shop bought minikegs can be subject to lining degradation after a very small number of uses which means your beer ends up with a metallic taste. A friend gives me used minikegs from time to time, but I now use them once only and then chuck 'em because I don't want to have five litres of tainted beer (again), even though the kegs come for free.

What do you mean by the diameter of the tap hole? Do you mean the inner diameter of the tap spout that the beer comes out of? Or do you want someone to remove the tap from the keg and then measure the remaining hole in the keg where the tap used to be? Or something else?
If I can understand what you want and it doesn't involved removing the tap from the keg then I can measure one for you.
The tap once pulled out has a small hole where the beer flows from, I think, so just the exiting hole on the tap please.

Be aware that shop bought minikegs can be subject to lining degradation after a very small number of uses which means your beer ends up with a metallic taste. A friend gives me used minikegs from time to time, but I now use them once only and then chuck 'em because I don't want to have five litres of tainted beer (again), even though the kegs come for free.
true had some before, asking about this as I am thinking of buying a ghostship keg from tesco and trying to modify the tap to allow hand pull connectivity.
won't be re-using.

What, one of these, that I happen to be drinking tonight? If so, you want a picture of where the beer comes out?

IMG_20201210_195349.jpg

What, one of these, that I happen to be drinking tonight? If so, you want a picture of where the beer comes out?

View attachment 37215
:laugh8: yes, I am working on the principle that the tap has a small hole, and I am curious as to whether it can somehow be botched to a JG fitting and then to a hand pull.
As thine is in use, I wouldn't expect a photo :laugh8:

Ok, if I understand your aims correctly, you might be better of sawing the end off the tap 'shaft' and forcing a tube over it, but see what you think;

IMG_20201210_212135.jpg

You can just see the exit hole above (hopefully!). The photos below are for scale.

IMG_20201210_212212.jpg

IMG_20201210_212312.jpg

Hope that helps. Let me know if you want anything else.

Ok, if I understand your aims correctly, you might be better of sawing the end off the tap 'shaft' and forcing a tube over it, but see what you think;

View attachment 37220
You can just see the exit hole above (hopefully!). The photos below are for scale.

View attachment 37221

View attachment 37222

Hope that helps. Let me know if you want anything else.
Thank you for that, you might be right, hole might be too small to take a fitting.

Back