50 American clone recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
excellent.jpeg

I've done the Alpha King (not so) pale ale and Edmund Fitzgerald porter from here. Both came out very well, these recipes are good.

I like the look of the Edmund Fitzgerald Porter at 6.2% or thereabouts. Maybe brew Autumn for getting "wrecked" when the bad weather arrives.

I once owned a vinyl album "Best of Gordon Lightfoot" that featured the song " Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

I've looked at this previously and found that only some of the recipes are published, not all.

So have just taken a second look and sure enough.

My brewing buddy and I have brewed the Boulevard Brewing Tank 7 clone recipe from the AHA database twice, and it has been spot on both times. They call it an "American Saison". I entered the recipe into BeerSmith, and BeerSmith users can find it on the Beer Smith Cloud by searching for Tank 741. Here is the plain text version. This was brewed on a Blichmann Engineering 10 gallon BrewEasy system, so the water and efficiency calculations are similar to a straight BIAB system. So we modified the recipe for that system and scaled it up for a 10 gallon batch. We used Belle Saison yeast which was not specified. The flavor profile it produces at really warm temperatures is outstanding.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 14.23 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal
Kegging Volume: 10.26 gal
OG: 1.076 SG
FG: 1.003
ABV: 9.7%
Estimated Color: 5.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.5 IBUs
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

8.57 gal Westminster, MD Water (charcoal filtered to remove chlorine)
8.00 gal Reverse Osmosis (R.O.) Water
14 lbs 8.0 oz BEST Pale Ale (BESTMALZ) (3.0 SRM)
10 lbs BEST Pilsen Malt (BESTMALZ) (1.8 SRM)
6 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
0.70 oz Magnum U.S. Pellet [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.65 oz Simcoe Pellet [13.70 %] - Boil 55.0 min
2.00 Items Servomyces (Boil 15.0 mins)
2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)
6.00 oz Amarillo [8.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min
4.50 oz Amarillo [8.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
2 lbs Candi Syrup, Simplicity [Primary] (1.0 SRM)
2.0 pkg Belle Saison (Lallemand/Danstar)
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.20 %] - Dry Hops added after 1 week

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 34 lbs
----------------------------

Saccharification: Add 66.29 qt of water at 156.2 F for mash temp of 147.9 F. Mash 90 min.
Mash Out: Heat to 168.0 F hold for 10 min

Notes:
------
Dry hops added in a muslin bag.

Fermented in a 12 gallon stainless fermenter at 75 degrees for 4 days. then increased heat about 2 degrees per day up to 85 degrees.

Ah, the site used to let you view the recipes, but clearly that has now changed, sadly.
They were available only a couple of weeks ago, I just brewed the Mother Blonde Ale. They took the 2017 recipes down at least a year ago, I'm hoping that they put up another batch for 2020.

I wish I knew the taste of most of those beers. I've not seen many in the UK.

Latest posts

Back