50L or 30L all-in-one brew systems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopcat 50L for £399 including spider, jacket and whirlpool arm seems a good offer?
So I got this deal at the end of last year. It's worth noting you have to wait for it to be shipped from China. Mine took about 2 months from ordering until delivery. It's worth the wait though. If you want this for your birthday, plan ahead.

Before, I had done a couple of kits with, let's be truthful, poor results. However, I completed my first AG with the hopcat (SMaSH cascade pale ale) and the difference in the results is fantastic. It's still conditioning but I had a early sample and I'm happy.

For spare water, I had a couple of pots on the stove ready but would have loved a big enough kettle. I'm keeping an eye out for one as this would have made the process even easier.

I hope that helps you in making your decision.

So I got this deal at the end of last year. It's worth noting you have to wait for it to be shipped from China. Mine took about 2 months from ordering until delivery. It's worth the wait though. If you want this for your birthday, plan ahead.

Before, I had done a couple of kits with, let's be truthful, poor results. However, I completed my first AG with the hopcat (SMaSH cascade pale ale) and the difference in the results is fantastic. It's still conditioning but I had a early sample and I'm happy.

For spare water, I had a couple of pots on the stove ready but would have loved a big enough kettle. I'm keeping an eye out for one as this would have made the process even easier.

I hope that helps you in making your decision.
Yes, Thanks. Did you order a wort chiller? I see it's a lot cheaper when ordered as part of the offer. I believe this offer is about to end

I did and again it's worth it to drop the temperature after the boil. If my research is correct this speedy drop in temperature helps with the clarity. I will say though, be prepared for some DIY to connect it the tap as it the pipe is imperial measurement not metric, which I discovered when trying to fit a 10mm to 15mm compression fitting to the wort chiller.

I think the price fluctuates quite a bit. I paid £399 with all the extras in Nov 18, but saw it at £600+ in Jan

I have been sent a 60 litre SVB review, it comes from China extremely good quality but does need a couple of tweaks. It is so much like the Klarstein, Hop Cat it isn't funny the return pipe is flexible, similar to what one gets on kitchen sinks. It only has the base filter plate but is very cleverly made to link into the bottom of the malt pipe, it comes with two bazooka filters, one for the outlet the other for the top of the return pipe. I don't like the wort going down the return pipe so I will fit some hose inside the bazooka. The steps each finish with an alarm to continue which I like, also has the hop schedule reminder. Nine steps which I can't see being needed but overall an impressive unit.
003.JPG Next to the 50 litre Hopcat.
004.JPG The bazooka on top of the return pipe.
005.JPG I have put a 90 degree elbow on the bazooka so as to keep it out of the way.

If I bought a 50L Hopcat, would I still need a sparge heater or could I sparge by using a 1.7-litre domestic kettle a few times?

How can they describe these as 'all-in-one' systems when you need a second heater??? Would not sparging give me a weaker wort or would it just be wasteful?

My understanding is you need a separate heater. It's something I didn't factor in when I brought the all in one. I've used a large sauce pan on the stove with a thermometer in ready to go when it's time.

All that I read stressed you need to have the spare water around 76°c as to hot will give you off flavours.

Hi, just wanted to pick this old thread up as it seems the right place to discuss small batches in a Hopcat...

I'm thinking of getting the Hopcat mk3 45L, not sure how different in physical size it is to the older 50L but presumably not much, but anyway, I will likely be doing 19-23L AG kits 99% of the time, I am tempted by this bigger 45L machine over a Brew Monk or a Brewster Beacon as a) I brew in the kitchen so any risk at. all of a boil over would be an absolute disaster and b) I dunno, maybe 1 day I might want to do 38L (feels unlikely atm mind you). Price works out much the same as the smaller 2 once you add up the extras you get with the Hopcat so not seeing much downside.

I think my main concern is whether the supplied chiller is tall enough to be completely submerged on what is essentially a half full kettle? I had this problem on the old Klarstein Maichfest kettle I am upgrading from - the "arms" were so short that only half of it was submerged by the time I boiled off to 19-23L which made it virtually useless!

Thanks

Last edited:
In case anyone from the future comes here, Hopcat just got back to me, said it's fine, said minimum volume in the 45 is 12L

Last edited by a moderator:
@frankieboy

Your longer term option might be to get a counterflow chiller then no submerging needed or convert your immersion chiller into a counterflow chiller.

I don't have any problems doing 20 litre batches on my 70 litre Guten. Definitely the bigger capacity greatly reduces the stress / worry about boilovers. You'll be able to do 25 or 30 litre batches easily in a 45 litre if your ferment vessels can take it. I used to do the odd 30 litres boil in my old 35litre robobrew and it was stressful.

In case anyone from the future comes here, Hopcat just got back to me, said it's fine, said minimum volume in the 45 is 12L
Hi frankie, just wondering did you get the hopcat in the end? I’m thinking of this as the 65l with all the extras is on for £499 at the moment. If you did take the plunge was it on pre order or did you get it in a decent time. I’m just waiting for a reply from them about order times. Cheers, Pete.

Hi frankie, just wondering did you get the hopcat in the end? I’m thinking of this as the 65l with all the extras is on for £499 at the moment. If you did take the plunge was it on pre order or did you get it in a decent time. I’m just waiting for a reply from them about order times. Cheers, Pete.
Hi Pete, Malt Miller had a deal on the Brew Monk shortly after so I went for that. I'd say £499 for a 65L Hopcat sounds like a great deal to me though, probably worth the wait!

Back