50Lt Plum Wine just started

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelops

Reaction score
Just started my 2nd lot of Plum wine off this morning. 50 Litre in this batch. Used a different white wine yeast and it's started off great guns.
The first batch (20L) from 4 weeks ago has already finished and is clearing nicely, along with 5L of Sour Cherry and Mulberry wine.

IMG_20210725_123927.jpg

Thought I'd check in to see how the ocean of fruit wine is coming along?
I'm guessing it's bottled and awaiting some tasting??

Well everything seems to have gone well. The 5L of Sour Cherry and Mulberry is on the dry side, deep colour like ribeana, with the mulberries coming through well. I think it will be great after leaving to mature for 12 months.

The first batch of 20L Plum Wine, is very dry but cleared nicely. Unfortunately it's not got much character, probably because it fermented out too quickly as it's been very hot here in Bulgaria, with some days hitting 45°C. I'm hoping it will improve if left for a few months.

The real success was the 2nd batch of Plum Wine (pic attached). Unlike the first, I found a traditional Romanian (I think) recipe online which recommended leaving the stones in. I also used a different Bulgarian white wine yeast. Anyway I racked it off this morning after 3 months sitting undisturbed and the result is superb. Its got a nice colour, not quite as quick to clear as the first batch but lovely medium - medium
IMG_20211027_153352.jpg
dry taste. You can really taste the plums and it also has a richness and slight sherry taste, which is very agreeable. Surprisingly It's very drinkable now but I'll try it again nearer to Christmas. If I can hold off on drinking it sooner 😁

Leaving the stones in definitely improves the taste significantly. You've just got to be careful not to leave it sitting too long (much more than 3 months), as the stones convert to cyanide, although it is harmless in these qualities and you'd have to drink the whole 50 litres in one session for it to be a problem. Chances are you'd be dead from alcoholic poisoning before the cyanide kills you and to be honest, this is so nice, I can't think of a more pleasant way to go 😁

I've actually ended up with more wine than I expected, having misjudged the amount of loss I would get when racking off. I thought the sediment from the plums would be more. I used a new 80 litre barrel and only expected to get 50L out. I've actually ended up with 62L, though I will need to give them a second racking.

I've also found my hydrometer and the wine finished naturally at 1.000, so is about 11.4% alcohol.
I've also drinking a couple of glasses at the moment (I couldn't resist) and I can't taste the slight 'sherry' taste that I thought it had earlier 🤔. Is this normal?

I can honestly say it's one of the nicest I've ever made and the best tasting without any aging other than the 3 months in the fermentation barrel.

Latest posts

Back