#52 Voss Kviek Pale Ale

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Arcs

Landlord.
Reaction score
I made a starter from 1g of dried voss and pitched one teaspoon of the slurry into my rice lager I brewed at 35c and it went from 1.048 to 1.005 in 3 days. I dried the rest but ended up cooking it to death. ooops.
Upon reading this thread, I was about to say the GrandDrunkMeister Drunkula would disagree. But you kinda saved me from saying it =)

Arcs

Landlord.
Reaction score
You can under pitch and dry or freeze the slurry indefinitely. Once you’ve bought one lot of kveik you needn’t really buy any more. So actually a billy bargain. However I’ve got several different strains and always happy to share.
I beg to differ. Although you mostly are correct. If pitching say rum oak chips into a brew. Erm, that Kveik is basically fecked unless you wanna take the time to strain those chips out which personally I wouldn't bother with, well that batch of it will be anyways =)

Reaction score
So do I just throw this into the next brew then? (Berliner Weisse)

Sour with sour pitch for 48hrs, boil, cool and throw it all in?

Reaction score
Yes, David Heath does recommend under pitching and even suggests yeast manufacturers use generic instructions on their packaging that don't necessarily translate to kveik.
maybe then I won't bother rehydrating voss then? - I have a packet for the 3 day heatwave we usually get in S.Wales.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So do I keep this slurry or just collect it from the next batch? How many generations can you go? How long does it store?

Free yeast forever? Cannot be true....

Reaction score
So do I keep this slurry or just collect it from the next batch? How many generations can you go? How long does it store?

Free yeast forever? Cannot be true....
As @Drunkula said. What you have collected there would last you a long time. I would top up with some wort just to protect it. 👍
Remember to release the pressure on it once in a while.

Latest posts