5L Mini keg Carbing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banbeer

Banbeer Brewing
Reaction score
Kegged half a 23L batch to see how it went as I'm new to kegs and bottled the rest, I added 12g of sucrose to each keg as instructed and one sucrose cube to each bottle. After a week or so the bottles were quite firm so I put them in the cool and not wanting the kegs to get too fizzy I put them in a cool place too, after a few weeks the bottles were fine but the kegs were quite flat. Can anyone let me know if the kegs need longer to carb seeing as there is so little sucrose in there? I'm guessing they would, any input gratefully received.

12 gram should be enough for a 5 litre keg, have you checked for any leaks?
Hi Foxy, thanks for the reply, it's not the quantity of fermentables in the keg it's how long to leave them to carb, they come out with a great head but was not fizzy.

Thanks for the reply, I thought as much, just kegged an IPA so I will leave it for 3 weeks and see what happens.

Keep it somewhere warm for 2-3 weeks. Then make sure you get it cold.before serving otherwise you'll get lots of foam at the expense of some of your carbonation.

Keep it somewhere warm for 2-3 weeks. Then make sure you get it cold.before serving otherwise you'll get lots of foam at the expense of some of your carbonation.
Will do, I have a carbing chamber set at 20C and then a dedicated fridge that I use to cool them.

Hi Foxy, thanks for the reply, it's not the quantity of fermentables in the keg it's how long to leave them to carb, they come out with a great head but was not fizzy.
If you have great head and beer appears flat then I would be looking at your pouring temperature the co2 has to dissolve into the beer to carbonate it.

Can't you carbonate with gas instead of sugar? I just set the pressure 10 to 15 psi and overnight, in the fridge. It's ready next day.

Can't you carbonate with gas instead of sugar? I just set the pressure 10 to 15 psi and overnight, in the fridge. It's ready next day.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can do that with easy/mini kegs. I am presuming he is talking about the sort you see on supermarket shelves rather than the newer ones that look like mini-cornies.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can do that with easy/mini kegs. I am presuming he is talking about the sort you see on supermarket shelves rather than the newer ones that look like mini-cornies.
I have the brewferm 5L kegs and the party star deluxe C02 tap system if that helps.

I have the brewferm 5L kegs and the party star deluxe C02 tap system if that helps.

Yeah they were the ones I was thinking. Keep your ever cold when pouring and it should keep your CO2 in solution and excessive foaming down.

Thanks @Brew_DD2, I was keeping the keg in the fridge and drawing the first couple off but was leaving it out of the fridge for the rest so i'll keep it in the fridge next time:thumba:

I'm now turning up the pressure gauge (adding more C02) before I put it back in the fridge before going to bed and it seems to be working, getting carbonation until the last drop. Thanks for the input guys.

Latest posts

Back