80 Shilling user upper

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hiya,

Pondering a bit of a user upper recipe, and I don't have the Bible to hand... Is this about right?

Caledonia 80 Boab

FERMENTABLES:
3.8 kg - Maris Otter Pale (75.8%)
0.5 kg - Vienna (10%)
0.3 kg - Dark Crystal 80L (6%)
0.25 kg - Flaked Wheat (5%)
0.16 kg - Chocolate (3.2%)

HOPS:
25 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 17.1
25 g - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 15 min

YEAST:
Wyeast - Scottish Ale

The bible lists pale malt as the base and then caramunich, crystal and carafa. As you are using up what you have got I think your recipe looks pretty close to the right kind of substitutes.

The recipe only lists a bittering hop addition of EKG at the start of the boil.

Looks fine. I'm in round of doing less hoppy beers at the moment. Isn't it odd how fashion changes, even when it comes to something like a pint of beer.

I did Mr Wheeler's recipe for Belhaven 80/- back in July. Very similar ingredient list (bit less grain but playing about with "imitation" Invert Syrup #2 to get about same OG).

Result was a bit "ordinary", nothing striking. Not sure the "Scottish" yeast fits with this "style" (probably better with Wee Heavy and the like). Your intention to add a bit more dark crystal can't go amiss.

Ignore the battle I was still having with "Tilt" hydrometers back then. Here go (PDF print of Beersmith worksheets):

Attachments

• Moel Fferna.pdf
    457.1 KB · Views: 286
I couldn't get the Wyeast stuff so ordered a pack of White Labs Edinburgh ale yeast, and changed the chocolate malt for roasted barley, and I'm going to just do the single ekg hop addition at the start of the boil. Interested to see how this one turns out.

Colour-wise it's going to be almost black and there'll be a significant roasted taste to it. I think it'll be rather like a Porter.

Colour-wise it's going to be almost black

Not according to the recipe builder, 34.25 EBC

Screenshot_20191027_130940_com.android.chrome.jpg

I'me with Foxbat on that 34 EBC will look blackish but be still brown when the light hits it like a porter but not as dark as a stout. The colours they show on the charts do tend to show a little lighter than in real time IMO

Its probably the chocolate which can be upwards of 900+ EBC that will have the most effect on colour and roast flavour try 80 to 100 g should still give a nice brown colour and the crystal will hopefully compliment the chocolate as you have cut back on it. Good luck and don't forget everybody has different taste in what they like especially in dark beers as I do not like them too roasty

Looks fine. I'm in round of doing less hoppy beers at the moment. Isn't it odd how fashion changes, even when it comes to something like a pint of beer.

I'm doing lower abv (<6%) and lighter hopped beers now.

I got a six pack of a local IPA for Christmas. I've choked down five, one to go.

You can do an IPA without having to get insane with the hops and have a very nice beer.

All the Best,
D. White

Latest posts

Back