9 - 9 - 6 system.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you believe the BS it seems the Chinese live to work i would guess they don't have much choice if this is the attitude of their big bosses, what about their employees work-life balance.

The Chinese billionaire and co-founder of the online shopping giant Alibaba has continued to argue for a 9am to 9pm working day, and a six-day week.

Jack Ma's backing for the so-called "996 system" is being hotly debated in the Chinese media.

Last week, Mr Ma wrote that without the system, China's economy was "very likely to lose vitality and impetus".

His stance was backed by fellow tech entrepreneur Richard Liu, the boss of ecommerce giant JD.com.

On Friday, Mr Ma called the opportunity to work 996 hours a "blessing".

Mr Liu, who started the company that would become JD.com in 1998, recently wrote about his attitude to work, saying he used to set his alarm to wake him up every two hours to make sure he could offer his customers a full, 24-hour, service.

He wrote: "JD in the last four, five years has not made any eliminations, so the number of staff has expanded rapidly, the number of people giving orders has grown and grown, while the those who are working have fallen.

"Instead, the number of slackers has rapidly grown! If this carries on, JD will have no hope! And the company will only be heartlessly kicked out of the market! Slackers are not my brothers!"

Read in full - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47934513

"JD in the last four, five years has not made any eliminations"

I think he's full of ****.

I thought this was the formation Man United will need to play to beat Barcelona!

Dunno what the fuss is about - I do loads of 12hr stints + Sat and Sunday the same, for which I get paid pots of cash. Proper work too mind, lots of graft and sweat and blood and adrenaline. I get a bath at the end of every month whether I need one or not. That's commitment.

I saw the article on the BBC website (shhh!) this morning. Also the comments posted below the article. The comments were very interesting, especially in light of the fact that China is nominally a communist paradise for its inhabitants.

Dunno what the fuss is about - I do loads of 12hr stints + Sat and Sunday the same, for which I get paid pots of cash

There is a huge difference between voluntary overtime and a contract where your working hours are six twelve hour shifts with one day off.

I also get 23 annual holidays (plus bank holidays) which rises to 38 after 5 years Chinese workers are not so lucky.

Statutory-Annual-Leave-in-China.jpg

Last edited:
That 9-9-6 is literally Dickensian. China on the whole was always a poor country in terms of the working classes and is still an emergent economy despite it's standing in world economic terms. As mentioned, workers rights will come in time.
Regarding hours worked, some years back I decided to take people explanations of how how long they worked, or their working hours with a huge pinch of salt. People are quite different in their approach to work. I had a good mate back in my late teens early twenties and he always sort of bragged about his hours each week as a patternmaker. He always said things like "oh I knocked out a 90-100 hour week this week!" Eventually I worked with him briefly. He worked very slowly! Give him his due though, his work was excellent! He was a real perfectionist and his employers must have loved his very high quality work. Various other people would include their commute to and fro from work when they didn't do a driving based job. Others in high powered positions would include looking at their emails or reports at breakfast across to checking again when they were in bed at night and would claim massive hours. Some people would work a short 6 hour day with no breaks at an enormous pace, and literally do 2 days work in 1 1/2. I knew a guy who automated so much of his IT based job that he worked from home at, that when pressed said he did no more than an hour a day, and he was hugely well paid for it.
Having said that, the Carers who looked after my father when he was dying worked bloody hard, and for long hours, weren't paid for their travel time between "clients", were thoroughly decent people who were paid barely above minimum wage! That was absolutely shocking.
I'm an old git now I suppose, but I really don't care what hours people do if they tell you unasked, all I care about it is "are you a decent person?"

Having said that, the Carers who looked after my father when he was dying worked bloody hard,

A lady across the road from me has cancer and she has home help they arrive every evening at 9 p.m they are always cheerful and chatty when they meet which must be hard when you consider what they do for a living. (end of life care)

It always boils my blood when i hear politicians say "We are working very hard" bla bla bla, most if not all haven't done a days hard work in their lives.

It always boils my blood when i hear politicians say "We are working very hard" bla bla bla, most if not all haven't done a days hard work in their lives.
Therein lies one of the problems with our "democracy". Many or perhaps most politicians have no concept of what the real world is like. The obvious and simple answer is to restrict standing for parliament to people who are (1) over 40 years old, and (2) have had substantial non-political and non-civil-servant experience. Anything else is OK, not only industry and the professions, but I would accept also military, unemployment, etc. Just exclude anything parasitic where you don't get to learn what the real world is all about, and exclude everyone until they have been around for long enough to learn a few things. Too many politicians never touch anything other than politics between school and an over-large pension funded by the people who do the work.
Unfortunately, as it is a simple and obvious solution it will never be implemented.

Obviously being an old git helps in many ways in my ability to rant on many subjects...but this one is a cracker.

Yes your average billionaire company owner will always put forward the case that his employees must work harder - he works so hard himself and so shouldn't everyone ?? Cut to the employee being payed so little that they have no option of working that amount or they would starve... We do not need to go into the fact that the employer reaps all the rewards, and employees rewards are substanitally less , and that the background may be more sinister in the fact that they may want to reduce the working wage but allow them to work more ?

As for the notes on Carers, with deep sadness it is the people at the bottom of the tree who are tasked with the people who need the most help......

Yes I am away now to drink some beer....it is a temporary help.

Latest posts

Back