99% apparent attenuation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subtle Duck

Regular.
Reaction score
Here goes, I brewed a tripel 2 weeks ago. 18ltrs and an og of 1.077
Grist was 75% pilsner malt, 5% wheat and 20% sugar. Yeast: m44, rehydrated.
To my surprise when bottling yesterday I had an fg of 1.001. I had to go and calibrate my hydrometer to see if it was right. Lo and behold, yes that's correct.
I was aiming for a mash temp of 63c but completely forgot to calibrate the thermometer (bloody thing is reading 3c high). So ended up with a 90 min mash at 60c.
It has quite a bit of body, but I'm guessing that's because of the abv. Just hoping that it doesn't taste too thin once carbed.
Has any one else managed anything like this without using saison yeast?

I've recently had 2 beers that have had 94 and 96 % aa. The 96% tastes normal and but I haven't tried the other one but it smelt off when I bottled it and don't hold much hope. Both with safale s04

With a low mash temperature and 20% sugar I’d be prepared to believe it. You’re up over 10% alcohol there, and alcohol drives gravity downwards. If it tastes good, it tastes good! Push the carbonation high given the style anyway and that’ll give it the impression of more body when you drink it.

I was really aiming for something around the 8% mark. It tastes fine at the moment, maybe slightly boozy but hoping that mellows out with a long age (brewing it for christmas). Its been carbed to 3 volumes of co2 in reused duvel bottles so hopefully no chance of bottle bombs, but I'll keep my eye on them over the coming months.

I don't think I quite had 99% attenuation, but have had something close, maybe 95%, I don't quite remember. One beer was a Brett saison which makes sense, but I also got that same high attention from K-97. The wort was well aerated and I think fermentation temps were quite warm.

M44 already has a strong attenuation by itself. I used it last year to brew a Duvel clone. I got 89% on that one. And indeed all other parameters give an indication towards very high fermentability.

I had M44 take a Bulldog kit from 1.050 to 1.002 a couple of years ago. I made a thread as i wasn't sure that I was calculating attenuation correctly. Other members have reported good attenuation from that yeast.

I agree with Ajhutch: if it tastes good, it tastes good. I’ve had an 88% attenuation with Wallonian farmhouse yeast, fermented at high-ish temps and that mellowed out very nicely. It had a bit of a nail polish vibe to begin with then after two months or so it was fantastic. Harvest the yeast for reuse and if the beer turns out good then you’ve a golden supply to brew more of the same.

I’ve been harvesting and reusing some M44 that has kicked out 5 quality beers in a row. All from one £4 sachet. I love that yeast. Super clean and fast fermentation. The first time I used it I got 68% attenuation. Every batch since with re-harvesting has been between 80 and 82 percent. Great yeast and I heartily recommend it.

A couple of my very low attenuators were over-pitched US05 (250ml bottles of trub) using FV's that had recently held Belgian beers

So tried one tonight, in the spirit of good taste. Carbing up quite quickly. Might have to keep a very close eye on this one. Will post back in a week or so for an update.

Edit: tastes good. Maybe a bit sweet due to to the carbing sugar

I regularly get very high attenuation down to as low as .998 as I use amylase in my lager type beers. I don’t personally think it tastes thin just very dry which I like.

Back