A DIY wort stirrer.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wouldn't fancy bits breaking off in your brew

plastic floats..... :D

+ £5 delivery from screw fix :?

Mark1964 said:
wort gets plenty of oxygenation just being put into the fermenter no need for fancy stirring devices.

This isn't true at all.

Mark1964 said:
i think you will find it is true. When your dropping wort into a fermenter thats all it needs.
It might work, and you can get away with it, but it is far from optimum ;)

Mark1964 said:
No need for fancy stirring devices
Don't need anything fancy for 5 gallons depending on how much of a workout you want :D I used to use a stainless holey spoon, but have moved over to a 'paint mixer paddle' in a cordless drill . . . 15 seconds and done!

For bigger volumes you need better aeration. . . . Foam sitting on top of the wort is not an indication of good aeration . . . that air needs to be in contact with the liquid wort for adequate gaseous exchange to take place.

we only brew 19 litre batches and ive never stirred the wort with anything. Not had a failed or **** brew in 3 years and im not going to start getting the electric drill out to bung a bit of oxygen in the wort

could use a wire coat hanger with the letter 0 formed at the end....

I use this on my cordless.
file_33.jpg

piddledribble said:
plastic floats..... :D

Not all do!

Im not sure about airation taking place in 15 seconds from simply using a rotating airation paddle!
My thoughts on this are due to the process we go through to get CO2 to be absorbed into our brews, they are stored at a low temprature under pressure for around 2 weeks to alow the gas to absorbe into the liqud.
How can swishing air around in a liquid for a short time add air to the liquid, surely the resultant bubbles just rise to the surface as a foam!

15 seconds isn't enough.

Read 'Yeast' by Jamil Zainawhateverthefuck. All your questions will be answered.

So many people put so much into their beer but leave Yeast, the main ingredient and a living organism to luck.

Andyhull said:
Im not sure about airation taking place in 15 seconds from simply using a rotating airation paddle!
My thoughts on this are due to the process we go through to get CO2 to be absorbed into our brews, they are stored at a low temprature under pressure for around 2 weeks to alow the gas to absorbe into the liqud.
How can swishing air around in a liquid for a short time add air to the liquid, surely the resultant bubbles just rise to the surface as a foam!
CO2 dissolves easily (relatively) into water, Oxygen less so . . . why does it take so long to properly carbonate a beer . . . Because it's being produced slowly . . .I am not a believer in the theory that the CO2 is produced and goes into the head space of the bottle . . .and then dissolves back over the next two weeks . . . It basically saturates the Beer and head space at the same partial pressures. . . In conditioning you are producing a very high level of CO2 in the beer, when aerating you are producing a much lower saturation of Oxygen (8-12ppm). The important factor affecting speed of absorption is the size of the bubbles . . . the smaller the bubble the greater the surface area and the more gas can exchange . . . using a paint mixer at high speed produces masses of tiny bubbles, all distributed throughout the beer, allowing rapid gas exchange . . . and so a short period of mixing is needed. . . 15 seconds is pretty short . . . but then I normally flush the head space with oxygen before starting :whistle: :whistle:

Aeration will not generally affect the 'first' fermentation of a packet of dried yeast or a phial of liquid yeast, as these yeast are fairly healthy, and have sufficient reserves to allow a good fermentation . . . it is subsequent repitchings of this yeast when aeration of the previous generation is important.

well I opened the thread to assist any noobs along the way, and Ratsathome trumps me :D

Great little stirrer and I had the ladle/spoon all the time, thank you. :clap:

This shouldn't break off in the brew.... :tongue:

Mark1964 said:
we only brew 19 litre batches and ive never stirred the wort with anything. Not had a failed or **** brew in 3 years and im not going to start getting the electric drill out to bung a bit of oxygen in the wort

My god I envy you!! I always feel that my beers have the potential for improvement, even the very best ones make me ask myself "is there any way that I could have made this better?" whereas you are clearly producing stunning beer that you are over the moon with, that you couldn't dream of improving!
Really not very open minded of you, how confidently can you say your beers were the best they could be? Is there a chance that aerating correctly may have improved them?
The thing is this is not a theory, it is proven scientific fact that correct aeration will give you better yeast health and therefore fermentation. Correct the smaller batch size may have smaller benefits, but as people here are learning, and many are moving to larger brew lengths and higher gravity wort, things like this really become more important. Coming along and dismissing people's efforts on trying to improve their process and product isn't helping anyone, as a moderator I would have thought you would have been one of the first to realise this.

Awolphotography said:
Mark1964 said:

My god I envy you!! I always feel that my beers have the potential for improvement, even the very best ones make me ask myself "is there any way that I could have made this better?" whereas you are clearly producing stunning beer that you are over the moon with, that you couldn't dream of improving!
Really not very open minded of you, how confidently can you say your beers were the best they could be? Is there a chance that aerating correctly may have improved them?
The thing is this is not a theory, it is proven scientific fact that correct aeration will give you better yeast health and therefore fermentation. Correct the smaller batch size may have smaller benefits, but as people here are learning, and many are moving to larger brew lengths and higher gravity wort, things like this really become more important. Coming along and dismissing people's efforts on trying to improve their process and product isn't helping anyone, as a moderator I would have thought you would have been one of the first to realise this.

Hahaha brilliant

Awolphotography said:
Mark1964 said:

Where does Mark say in his post that he couldn't dream of improving his beers?
All he stated was that he hasn't had a **** brew in 3 years and that he hasn't had to stir the wort to acieve it!!!

If you have envy towards him then i sugest you try harder to improve your own styles of brews that you "are" as happy as he is instead of making out that he's not acttually producing the quality that he is.
As for him being a mod and should know better, know better than what? he just gave his opinion that simply stated he hasn't airated and still had cracking brews.

S

andyhull said:
Where does Mark say in his post that he couldn't dream of improving his beers?
All he stated was that he hasn't had a **** brew in 3 years and that he hasn't had to stir the wort to acieve it!!!
That's not correct now is it? He stated that wort did not need to be aerated

Glad you took that post in the spirit it was intend

'Twas only a plastic coat hanger.....but it certainly stirred em up !

Sorry folks no need to get uptight over it....

piddledribble said:
'Twas only a plastic coat hanger.....but it certainly stirred em up !

Sorry folks no need to get uptight over it....

:lol:
S

Back