A good recipe of english golden ale

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
I agree with Rodcx500z that it looks fine and you could use something a little. More exciting than S-04. I think you might get a little more than 1045 OG and I wonder if the rice hulls are really necessary.
Nevertheless, it's your recipe and there's nothing wrong with it so do it and give us a full report when it's done.
All the best.

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi,
I'd like to brew my first golden ale but i don't know very well this stile!
Can you tell me a good recipe?
Thanks
D.
I remember we had a conversation about this a couple of years ago. Did you have a go at the recipe you formulated then? We had a chat about Summer Lightning, too, as I recall.

Cheshire Cat

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ignore the people saying S04 is crap it isn’t try it. I’ve made loads of beers with it and they’re good.

darrellm

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ignore the people saying S04 is crap it isn’t try it. I’ve made loads of beers with it and they’re good.
Yes, I still use S04 but it won't bring out the best in this beer, personally I'd use Liberty Bell or something that accentuates the late hops.

As everyone else says, no need for the rice hulls, only need these with a large quantity of wheat malt, no need with MO.

I'd add 3-5% light crystal malt to the mash to give it a bit more golden colour, I've been adding more and more of this lately but not too much to make it brown. And up the Styrians to 20g. But basically, you have the Exmoor Gold recipe there.

moto748

Landlord.
Reaction score
BTW I've got an S-04 v Liberty Bell face-off split batch bottled. Haven't tried either yet, need a bit longer in the bottle, but I'll be very interested in the results.

[that is for an English bitter, though, not a golden ale]

Last edited:

Latest posts