A good recipe of english golden ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Rodcx500z that it looks fine and you could use something a little. More exciting than S-04. I think you might get a little more than 1045 OG and I wonder if the rice hulls are really necessary.
Nevertheless, it's your recipe and there's nothing wrong with it so do it and give us a full report when it's done.
All the best.

Hi,
I'd like to brew my first golden ale but i don't know very well this stile!
Can you tell me a good recipe?
Thanks
D.
I remember we had a conversation about this a couple of years ago. Did you have a go at the recipe you formulated then? We had a chat about Summer Lightning, too, as I recall.

Ignore the people saying S04 is **** it isn’t try it. I’ve made loads of beers with it and they’re good.

Yes, I still use S04 but it won't bring out the best in this beer, personally I'd use Liberty Bell or something that accentuates the late hops.

As everyone else says, no need for the rice hulls, only need these with a large quantity of wheat malt, no need with MO.

I'd add 3-5% light crystal malt to the mash to give it a bit more golden colour, I've been adding more and more of this lately but not too much to make it brown. And up the Styrians to 20g. But basically, you have the Exmoor Gold recipe there.

BTW I've got an S-04 v Liberty Bell face-off split batch bottled. Haven't tried either yet, need a bit longer in the bottle, but I'll be very interested in the results.

[that is for an English bitter, though, not a golden ale]

Last edited:
BTW I've got an S-04 v Liberty Bell face-off split batch bottled. Haven't tried either yet, need a bit longer in the bottle, but I'll be very interested in the results.

[that is for an English bitter, though, not a golden ale]

Id be interested in how this turns out. I tried splitting these two a while back but the batch got infected and haven’t tried since. I’ve alternated between them but haven’t tested side by side.

Watch this space! Nothing tasted yet, but initial thought are that the S-04 has cleared brilliantly, and the Liberty Bell, er, hasn't. I'll probably be giving them another couple of weeks, but I have to say that I've used LB a few times now, and never had very impressive results,

The question is who manufactures MJ yeast not who packs them in Ellesmere Port? Maybe Fermentis that would cause horror to the anti S04 brigade on here lol.

The Exmoor website states Challenger,golding, fuggles,4.6% cask,5% bottled.

Just spotted that. Strange, I've been a big fan of Exmoor Gold for many years and have often looked on their website, never seen that before, they must have published that recently. They also go on to say "sprightly floral, citrusy fresh hop fruitiness " which doesn't seem to fit with the hops suggested. I haven't done a direct A/B comparison but have been drinking commercial EG and brewing it on and off for over 10 years, and the Styrians seem to suit the style.

The question is who manufactures MJ yeast not who packs them in Ellesmere Port? Maybe Fermentis that would cause horror to the anti S04 brigade on here lol.

Well I wouldn't know about that :D but I've got a few packets of S-04 in the cupboard, and if this one turns out OK, I may rehabilitate them! I've also had better results with Verdant yeast too, I used that in my Grey Sheep which turned out OK.

Latest posts

Back