A Grain Brew on Saturday - Belgian Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callumbo

Reaction score
Afternoon

I've got a big brew day planned for Saturday.

I have just finished making my immersion chiller, fitted a hop strainer and tap to my cool box and a rotating sprinkler to the lid for sparging so all set to go. Last time i did a BIAB and thought that as i had the bits i might as well try without.

My Recipe is

Simpsons Extra pale marris otter 95%
Crystal Malt 5%

Fuggles 60min boil

Saaz at 30Min

Saaz at boil off

I've got some Jack Mangroves belgian ale yeast

Im doing a MAXI-BIAB without the bag. I only have a 20L cooler and 17 Litre boiler so planning on making it strong then when adding to the FV ill liquor it back until i hit my target OG.

I have now just realised that an immersion chiller may not be needed at all due to adding cold water direct to the it after the boil :doh:

Anyone got any last minute tips or questions?

Looking good.

1. If you use the chiller (even in this weather it may be needed) make sure that you stick it into the boiling wort to sterilise it.

2. Clarity ferm only "reduces" gluten it doesn't make it "gluten free". If the drinker is hypersensitive to gluten using Clarity Ferm may not be enough. For true gluten free I think they use sorghum extract like this ...

http://www.northernbrewer.com/maillard-malts-sorghum-extract-syrup

Enjoy! :thumb:

Cheers Dutto. Your absolutely right. My sister has a moderate gluten allergy but has stopped drinking beer due to this so I'm hoping this will make the gluten levels low enough to be tolerable. She has agreed to be a test subject for me, so shall have to see what happens.

On the other hand I have a friend who is very intolerant and wouldn't dare try it on them.

Always good to test on family haha

Latest posts

Back