A kit similar to Timothy Taylor Landlord?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is Timothy Taylor's Landlord the best beer in the world?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi kelper
The bottled TTL never tastes as good as the cask stuff. Is it filtered and pasteurised
... I don't think it's pasteurised ... and while I agree it's not as good from a bottle (all bottled beers seem to be ridiculously over-carbonated nowadays), it's not as if it's a different beer :?: ... it's still noticeably Landlord from bottle, and a LOT more convenient to use in a side-by-side taste test, IMHO :?:

Hi Llamaman
There's a YT vid that has the head brewer stating they use Savinjski Styrians
Yet the advertising campaign only mentions fuggles.
... I believe Styrian Goldings have been found genetically to all actually be Fuggles ... and have read varying accounts of how some British con merchant sold a load of Fuggles rhizomes, at Goldings prices, after the Styrian hop harvest had failed due to some disease or other, whilst other stories suggest that, after Styrian hop growers had bought Fuggles rhizomes to replace failed hop gardens, they then sold the resulting hops as "Styrian Goldings", for the premium prices that Goldings attracted :?:

Cheers, PhilB

"Scottish Golden Promise pale malt, Fuggles, Styrian Goldings and Whitbread Goldings Variety hops and modest additions of brewing sugar and caramel."

and

"Bottled Landlord, although filtered and pasteurised and some way short of the dazzling qualities of the cask version at its best, is still worth trying"

according to the Guild of Beer writer https://desdemoor.co.uk/timothy-taylor-landlord/

The brewery website gives

MALT: 100% GOLDEN PROMISE BARLEY

HOPS: STYRIAN GOLDINGS, GOLDINGS AND FUGGLES

https://www.timothytaylor.co.uk/beer/landlord/

If it's not raining today I will do the BrewUK DME Landlord kit today using an induction hob.

The bottled TTL never tastes as good as the cask stuff. Is it filtered and pasteurised?
I'm pretty certain It's not pasteurized, or it never used to be,I've recaptured yeast from a bottle in the past but was told it was bottled at Thwaites by a driver who took it there.and likely had a bottling yeast yeast added.
It tastes best after 6 months in a bottle in my opinion.

Sorry, I ordered their extract kit. I've edited the link already. Cheers. I did order it with the Wyeast 1469.

If I want to try the all grain kit what equipment would I need? I have a 17 litre stockpot to go on the induction hob. I guess I need a large bag but am not sure what spec to order.

These are the ingredients.

25g East Kent Golding Hops 45g Styrian Goldings 18g Black Malt 2.5kg Light dried malt extract Choice of yeast This recipe pack will give you approx 21 litres.
For the Timmy Taylor receipe, when do you add the hops / timings?

Looking at the GW (and from what I know about landlord) recipe the EKG would be at 60min and styrians @ 10mins (but 45g is a lot more than the GW recipe though)
... in the version of BYOBRA that I have, Graham's recipe is for 30g each of EKG and Styrians for 90 mins and 20g of Styrians for 10 mins, to get you 35 EBU.

Cheers, PhilB

There's some more details (and pictures of happy yeast!) at A visit to Timothy Taylor's brewery

Mash for an hour at 66C, then an hour at 70C. Some years they use actual Goldings but not usually. There's a bit of invert #2 in there.

Seems they change what hops they use every so often (I'd imagine due what available?) as I've never heard any references to Whitbread goldings before looking at your link

Malt Miller do a couple of AG kits based on Landlord, have only tried one but IMO was pretty good, worth doing.
Yep, I made the MM TT landlord premium kit a few months ago and it's pretty good, it almost gone now but the colour and taste is a close match, I couldn't seem to match the aroma, seemed creamier than the Bottled original I used for comparison but that might just be the difference in carbing between Bottled and kegged beer. I would recommend it if you want to make the clone.

Back